Why is my chameleon digging?

leolover

I have a 6 month old male panther chameleon. I thought that maybe something was wrong becuase he was sitting at the lowest branch of the cage. I usuallynotice him doing this when he is looking for food. I put about 10 crickets in the cage. He ignored all of them and he has been down at the bottom of the cage for the past 30 minutes in the corner digging like he is trying to get out. He has never done anything like this... anyone know why??:confused:

Considering this is 100% male and not trying to lay eggs if female, I would check your temps. I saw you had a question in an earlier post about him turning white-that would indicate he is too hot.

Temp is 85 in the cage and about 90 in the basking spot. He is his normal greenish brown color and eating and drinking normal, but it is like he is trying to get out...and yes he is definitly 100% male:)

Temp is 85 in the cage and about 90 in the basking spot. He is his normal greenish brown color and eating and drinking normal, but it is like he is trying to get out...and yes he is definitly 100% male:)

That's way too hot for a Panther chameleon... Get the Ambient temps down to around 75 and basking around 85...

He's digging to find a cooler area. It's instinct for them to go lower to get cooler and to go higher to search heat.

I have a 6 month old male panther chameleon. I thought that maybe something was wrong becuase he was sitting at the lowest branch of the cage. I usuallynotice him doing this when he is looking for food. I put about 10 crickets in the cage. He ignored all of them and he has been down at the bottom of the cage for the past 30 minutes in the corner digging like he is trying to get out. He has never done anything like this... anyone know why??:confused:
I'd say something is bugging him. Is the corner he's trying to get out , a open area to plants or outside view? Cover or block that corner view, and see if behavior changes.

Last edited:
Yeah, actually I think that it was because the corner that he was trying to get out of was because there was a small crack. I didnt latch that bottom corner and I think he was trying to figure out how to squeeze out.. Silly Leo.... It would not be wise on his part to get out, I have a puppy rott, a 3 year old and a very curious 6 month old that will go after anything that moves!!! Guess I better pay attention to what I am doing!

You should also look into the temp situation. Also make sure there isn't something he is interested in. My cham will pace the bottom of his cage if I have the blinds open and sunlight is coming into the room. He thinks he can find a way out to the sunlight somehow. When I see him down there I take him out and place him in the sun so he can bask. I don't know if he goes down there to signal me or if he just thinks he can escape. I am working on a way to block his view.:rolleyes:

Oh I think that is so sad to think that he is just so desperate to escape..:( Well I have his cage in the livingroom and he has a straight view to the window outside.. but we usually keep the blinds closed. I am in the middle of the desert so I try to keep the house as cool as possible. Do you think that it could be that he needs more room? I still have him in his juvinile cage. I went today to get him a new one but it couldnt fit in my car! I am trying to see if a different pet store will order me one that is already broken down so I dont have a problem getting it home. I will look through my e mails for the exact cage size but Im pretty sure that it is 2 ft from side to side, 2 ft from top to bottom and 1 ft from front to back so 2x2x1?

My boy (a panther as well) was in his juvi cage til 8 months. I got him at 6 months and he was bought as a package thru a reputible breeder with his cage, lighting, vits and supps, dripper & everything needed for him.

It was a package that was sold on the internet through their site. After he has settled in a gotten used to us and less stressed it was obvious that he hated his cage and was always looking for a way out. It was way too small for him, he couldnt hide or climb and never was verticle and would just sit on his fake vines and branches and do nothing but be grumpy.

My cham doesnt try to dig but he used to just look at the door and want me to open it (I mean just stare at it) or pace so I would open it and he would scoot down his vine to the floor and make his way to his fiscus in the window by the sun where he has a great view and would dream of all the big trees outside. He would only venture back to his cage for food and water (from his dripper) and was physically put back at 7.30 kicking and screaming for bedtime.

So funny to watch him just to watch him stroll across the lounge room floor to his tree, its like he owns the place. I used to mist him on his tree and he was happy til he got his bigger cage and he settled into it. He still loves to get out but he is more settled and doesnt pace anymore and knows his cage is his home now.

They definatley like their space, to be able to climb and hide when they feel the need.

If your temps are good he maybe just wanting more space and to get out.

My boy (a panther as well) was in his juvi cage til 8 months. I got him at 6 months and he was bought as a package thru a reputible breeder with his cage, lighting, vits and supps, dripper & everything needed for him.

It was a package that was sold on the internet through their site. After he has settled in a gotten used to us and less stressed it was obvious that he hated his cage and was always looking for a way out. It was way too small for him, he couldnt hide or climb and never was verticle and would just sit on his fake vines and branches and do nothing but be grumpy.

My cham doesnt try to dig but he used to just look at the door and want me to open it (I mean just stare at it) or pace so I would open it and he would scoot down his vine to the floor and make his way to his fiscus in the window by the sun where he has a great view and would dream of all the big trees outside. He would only venture back to his cage for food and water (from his dripper) and was physically put back at 7.30 kicking and screaming for bedtime.

So funny to watch him just to watch him stroll across the lounge room floor to his tree, its like he owns the place. I used to mist him on his tree and he was happy til he got his bigger cage and he settled into it. He still loves to get out but he is more settled and doesnt pace anymore and knows his cage is his home now.

They definatley like their space, to be able to climb and hide when they feel the need.

If your temps are good he maybe just wanting more space and to get out.

You should make a video of him making the journey! lol sounds really funny. My veiled will do this kind of migrating when he is tired of his ficus by the window. For some reason he likes to go across the room to his old UVB light fixture, climb the power cord and sit on the books in the bookshelf that the fixture is leaning against. :confused::rolleyes: no idea why.

I think that it may really just be that he is getting to big for his cage. He is sitting on a branch at the front of the cage. Usually when I open the door he will scurry to the back of the cage and hide.. but now he sits there. Today I got him to drink straight from the spray bottle! He looked so silly like a baby drinking from a bottle. Then he tried to follow my hand out of the cage... I feel so bad for him... But he is still eating and drinking well!

Sorry if u have answered this elsewhere....but what size cage is he in?

I know mine started to tell me around 7 months that he wanted a bigger pad :)

IM pretty sure that it is 2ft side to side, 2 ft top to bottom and 1ft front to back.. does that make sense? 2x2x1

Time to spend some money.

IM pretty sure that it is 2ft side to side, 2 ft top to bottom and 1ft front to back.. does that make sense? 2x2x1

OK. The size is your problem. You really need to get something like a 2x2x4 (4 feet tall, 2 feet wide and deep). He is a bit old to still be in such a small cage. I bet if you fill one of those 2x2x4 cages up with plants and vines for him he will not be trying to dig his way out of it.

If you have a male, this cage will suite him well for his 6 month age and beyond.

I agree!

Mine settled down when put into this size cage. My cham was in your size cage and hated it as he got older. They sure do like and need their space :)

How to see if this is a female or male I can't get to see what y'all see hehe? Please help.

Attachments

• IMG_20200427_132443.jpg
    IMG_20200427_132443.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 141
Back
Top Bottom