Why is his mouth open?

Noah4of4

I recently reconfigured my chams cage so he would be able to get more direct light when he’d like it. Although, so far he has just gotten directly under the light with his mouth open. I did a little research and found that he is trying to cool off, so does this mean it’s too hot for him? Also, if he is too hot why does he insist on staying directly under the light?

Attachments

• BC22355B-44FA-44D9-8151-CBBDD916F1FB.jpeg
    BC22355B-44FA-44D9-8151-CBBDD916F1FB.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 72
I recently reconfigured my chams cage so he would be able to get more direct light when he’d like it. Although, so far he has just gotten directly under the light with his mouth open. I did a little research and found that he is trying to cool off, so does this mean it’s too hot for him? Also, if he is too hot why does he insist on staying directly under the light?
Hes sitting under his bulb, probably too hot. What watt basking bulb are you using? Also do you have a linear uvb bulb on that enclosure?

Chameleons do not have the ability to auto-regulate like we do, its the job of the keeper to provide the correct environment to thrive. Lift the light off the screen before he gets burned. Where is your linear UBV?

Hes sitting under his bulb, probably too hot. What watt basking bulb are you using? Also do you have a linear uvb bulb on that enclosure?
Chameleons do not have the ability to auto-regulate like we do, its the job of the keeper to provide the correct environment to thrive. Lift the light off the screen before he gets burned. Where is your linear UBV?
I am using the tropical uvb and heat lighting kit from Zoo Med. I am just now realizing that I did not turn on the uvb light along with the heat this morning. Although, I did move the lamp as soon as I read the replies, do you guys have any tips on making sure he doesn’t get too hot?

Your UVB is insufficient and will kill you chameleon. You must have a linear UVB, not CFL.

Yes, lift the light up off the screen, as it sits now it is not only an overheating risk, its a burn risk.

You would benefit greatly by filling out the help form so you can get a full review.

Where do you suggest I put the lights?
Your UVB is insufficient and will kill you chameleon. You must have a linear UVB, not CFL.

Yes, lift the light up off the screen, as it sits now it is not only an overheating risk, its a burn risk.

You would benefit greatly by filling out the help form so you can get a full review.

He is sitting so close to the light because he is trying to soak up the minuscule amount of UV coming off of your light. Follow Brodys direction above and you’ll be on the right track soon!

... along with raising the lights up and off the screen. This can be accomplished by something as simple as placing an inflammable object between the light and screen. But your the one who has to determine how high to move it so you still supplying the right balance of basking temps and safety.

It’s not a question of where to move the lights you have, I’m telling you you need to buy a whole new fixture and bulb.
... along with raising the lights up and off the screen. This can be accomplished by something as simple as placing an inflammable object between the light and screen. But your the one who has to determine how high to move it so you still supplying the right balance of basking temps and safety.
I understood when you said I needed a new light set up, I was just simply asking for your opinion on the location. Thanks for the info and tips a new uvb has been bought

I understood when you said I needed a new light set up, I was just simply asking for your opinion on the location. Thanks for the info and tips a new uvb has been bought
Just making sure since you made no mention of it in your reply, nothing personal. So how are you measuring temperature at that spot?

Back
Top Bottom