Why I Hate the Wild Caught Trade

jajeanpierre

Chameleon Enthusiast
***Graphic Photos*** that should disturb everyone.

Last night, the big male Mellers I bought a week ago lost his fight. I'm devastated.

I bought him knowing he would likely die simply because he was so big and the big ones just don't handle the import process well at all. Mellers, I learned, handle import far far worse than other species.

Joel turned him down because he believed, based on how deep the scallops were on his back, that he was a male and he did not need any males. Joel was correct, he was male. When Joel was explaining why he wasn't taking him, that darned chameleon looked directly into my soul so he came home with me.

Joel was staying at my house that night and much of the next day before he started off on his four-plus hour drive back home with the three he bought. We set them up with their own automatic misting system and we misted for more than half an hour at a time over and over again.

The Mellers I had never moved around his cage and didn't eat although he was drinking. I tried everything to get him to eat. I spent a couple of hours hunting for bright green grasshoppers, flying things, anything that might tempt him. He wasn't interested in eating anything as far as I could tell. It was always two steps backwards for every step forward. I'm used to the ups and downs of keeping new wild caughts alive, but my quads had always been two steps forward and one step back. I ended up taking him to my vet on Tuesday to have his eyes flushed and subcutaneous fluids. She gave me some Carnivore Care and made sure I understood to feed very tiny amounts since you can kill a starving animal by feeding it too much.

He perked up a bit with the fluids and food but not nearly as much as I expected he should have. He continued his downward slide. Last night I knew he was dying and I desperately wanted to do something but just left him alone to die in peace.

This morning I woke up to him dead. There is nothing more disturbing looking to me than a big dead chameleon. It took me a long time to muster up the courage to pull him out of the cage and put him in the fridge. It took me more hours to be able to do a necropsy. I was sure I would find something that would show I killed him. Mellers are known as the 90-day chameleon but I could only keep this one alive 7 days.

I'm not a vet so any comments are from a lay person.

When I peeled back the skin, the first thing I noticed were hematomas and broken ribs. When I cut the ribs off, I saw why he died. His lungs were full of blood. Someone must have used a big stick and whacked him out of a tree. He had bruising on both sides of his body around his shoulder.

I hate the wild caught trade yet I am a part of it.

If at all possible, please, please buy captive-bred animals even if they cost more. What this animal went through makes me sick, just sick and I was a part of it. You will never be able to buy a captive bred Mellers for as cheaply as any wild caught but it just doesn't matter. Breeders won't try to breed them because they can't compete with the wild caught prices. As consumers, we should be happy to pay a higher price to prevent this happening. Two weeks ago, he was free, he was healthy and he was happy. Now he's in a garbage can.

I'm just sick over this.

Janet

Left side of his body, head to the left, back at the top of the picture.

20160326_152011.jpg

The inside of the same rib cage as above. You can see many fractured ribs.

20160326_161420.jpg

This is the other side of his body around the shoulder, the right side, with the skin peeled back. His head is to the left in all the pictures.

20160326_160811.jpg

20160326_153102.jpg

20160326_153633.jpg

The lungs--I tried to get them out in one piece including the trachea but obviously failed.
20160326_160207.jpg

20160326_160220.jpg

I'm sorry it turned out this way... I know it's always considered possible, and even likely, with wild caughts, but it can't be easy.

This is why it's so, so important for people to support captive bred. I really hope Joel's breeding project is a success, and your project with graciliors as well Janet. The farther we can get from this, the better.

I'm sorry it turned out this way... I know it's always considered possible, and even likely, with wild caughts, but it can't be easy.

This is why it's so, so important for people to support captive bred. I really hope Joel's breeding project is a success, and your project with graciliors as well Janet. The farther we can get from this, the better.
As horrible as it is captive breed populations have to come from wild caught animals. But there is no excuse for how this animal was caught. like jajeanpierre said probably hit with a stick or something else.

Melleri are my favorites. I'm hoping to get a few in next month, hopefully farm raised F1s. Regardless, Ive been wanting to see them as CB more often. SO much easier to care for as CB than WC.

I'm sorry for your loss Janet. Thank you for posting this. I know it had to be difficult, but necessary to get the word out.

This makes me so sad. I kind of think it is like everyone saying don't buy from Petco because the one you buy will just be replaced with another. If people in the U.S. would stop buying them they would stop importing them, right? Atleast you tried to give him a fighting chance. I am sorry he did not make it.

This makes me so sad. I kind of think it is like everyone saying don't buy from Petco because the one you buy will just be replaced with another. If people in the U.S. would stop buying them they would stop importing them, right? Atleast you tried to give him a fighting chance. I am sorry he did not make it.

It's all about the value of the animal. The chameleons that came in from Madagascar--the panthers and the Parsons--all came without a mark on them. They were boxed individually. They were worth multiples of what a quad or a Melleri is worth to the exporter.

So sorry to ear this I lost my first meller too in january and i totally agree with you... Wc is terrible! Now, i really try too breed some here too stop one part of the importation here but its not easy i think.

I'm sorry you lost him. :( I just lost my very first female Lateralis, about a week ago, and it was so sad. It's just the most awful feeling when you feel responsible for them, but can't seem to save them.
You have my deepest sympathy.

The quality of Madagascar imports is high because the price is high...and the quotas very low. Melleri are imported by the thousands, and must be pretty common. It's a shame, as WC imports will do very well if treated well. The treatment they receive from being collected to being in someone's collection is the difference between a long term captive breeding colony and a dead animal in a few months.

Madagascar imports used to be at least as bad as the African imports are now. In the early 90's, parsonii were going for less than $100 wholesale. Imported specimens came in in rough shape -busted heads and jaws were common. The number of fractured skulls and jaws on the ousteleti and parsonii was alarming. According to a friend who dealt with imported animals, he was told that the locals collected chameleons by whacking them out of the tree with sticks. Makes sense, as that's how we collected veiled in FL last year. But we were gentle.

There was a young Melleri in one of the cages that was standing up against the glass on his hind legs. He had a curvature to his spine and ribs that looked as though it had been made by a branch/stick two or three inches in diameter. We thought a branch/log must have fallen on his back when he was younger. Joel and I looked at him for a long time, marveling that he could have survived an injury. You had to see it to believe it--his back was and ribs were caved in. We both thought it had to be an old injury that was healed since he was alive and moving around, reasoning that it just couldn't be from capture. How could it be from capture since capture and export are so brutal? We just couldn't imagine in a million years the juvenile surviving such a catastrophic injury and import. Silly me for thinking that could ever have happened out in nature from something falling on his back or maybe a predator grabbing him.

I want to clarify my original post and I am unsure I will be able to articulate the point I was trying to make.

I am not grieving losing this particular chameleon. I have/had no emotional attachment to him other than he didn't deserve this and he had beautiful eyes when I first saw him. I was not planning to buy him. He was not a beloved pet. He was simply a magnificent creature that I knew was doomed if someone who knew how to deal with a wildcaught didn't step in immediately. I put as much effort and money into trying to save him as I would have for one of my favorite animals.

I am grieving the whole wild caught industry of which I am a part of.

I am grieving that this magnificent animal ended his life this way.

I am grieving thinking about what he looked like a couple of weeks ago roaming his domain in perfect health.

I am grieving the loss of his magnificence.

This isn't about me and my emotions but what happens to thousands and thousands and thousands of chameleons that are snatched out of their habitat. I appreciate the condolences, but I feel like a fraud to accept them. I'm not grieving the loss of this animal, but the loss and abuse of them all if that makes any sense.

I want to clarify my original post and I am unsure I will be able to articulate the point I was trying to make.

I am not grieving losing this particular chameleon. I have/had no emotional attachment to him other than he didn't deserve this and he had beautiful eyes when I first saw him. I was not planning to buy him. He was not a beloved pet. He was simply a magnificent creature that I knew was doomed if someone who knew how to deal with a wildcaught didn't step in immediately. I put as much effort and money into trying to save him as I would have for one of my favorite animals.

I am grieving the whole wild caught industry of which I am a part of.

I am grieving that this magnificent animal ended his life this way.

I am grieving thinking about what he looked like a couple of weeks ago roaming his domain in perfect health.

I am grieving the loss of his magnificence.

This isn't about me and my emotions but what happens to thousands and thousands and thousands of chameleons that are snatched out of their habitat. I appreciate the condolences, but I feel like a fraud to accept them. I'm not grieving the loss of this animal, but the loss and abuse of them all if that makes any sense.
You make sense. There is no excuse for how this animal was caught. I understand that captive bred populations have to come from wild caught animals but those animals should be treated much better.

Janet,

Your battle of being part of the import system is one I think all seasoned chameleon keepers face. When I left raising chameleons for several years, it was due to seeing how imports came in, and at that time captive breeding was in it's infancy.
You have saved many chameleons, but the grieving over the treatment of these beautiful dinosaurs of the trees is appropriate for us all.
When you hear about the huge numbers coming into the US, I think of this story: Ghandi was viewing thousands of beached live fish, and he began to throw them back into the water. He was asked "Why are you doing this? Your efforts will not matter" He replied "It matters to this one."

CHEERS!

Nick

Janet,

Your battle of being part of the import system is one I think all seasoned chameleon keepers face. When I left raising chameleons for several years, it was due to seeing how imports came in, and at that time captive breeding was in it's infancy.
You have saved many chameleons, but the grieving over the treatment of these beautiful dinosaurs of the trees is appropriate for us all.
When you hear about the huge numbers coming into the US, I think of this story: Ghandi was viewing thousands of beached live fish, and he began to throw them back into the water. He was asked "Why are you doing this? Your efforts will not matter" He replied "It matters to this one."

CHEERS!

Nick

Thanks Nick. I know it gutted Joel, and it shattered me. I'm glad so many people who are in the fancy wrestle with the dilemma. For many, I think they are a throw-away animal. There will be thousands of wild caught animals going through the importer's hands this month. The natural question: Why so many? Sadly, the answer is because they die.

I hate that it happened the way it did Janet. But I knew it wasn't your lack of efforts that did him in. I knew there had to be something internally going on to make him crash that quickly.

I literally hate the import process for melleri. I hate the import process for most chameleons, but melleri just don't bounce back as easy as some species and I don't think they are field collected with the touch necessary to avoid injury. The poor little one that Janet is referring too with the back issue......it is like nothing I have ever seen. He was literally making a "c" with his body, top of head to tail. It just fires you up when you see things like that.

I know what you mean Janet by saying you are "part of the import process". I feel the same way all the time. Excluding my Ambilobe, Nosy Faly, Veileds and of course Cato, all of my chameleons are WC. The part that is the hardest for me is having to be logical and come to the understanding that all the melleri we saw will more than likely be dead by the end of next month. The sub adults I picked are eating and doing well which makes me sooooo happy. But I think, should I have brought more of them home?? In all reality I picked the ones that I felt were the healthiest and had the best chance for survival. The poor gravid female just broke my heart, that is why I had to take her. When she died, I had almost the exact same thought go through my head that you said above.....I thought, just a couple of weeks ago you were living life in your natural habitat and now you are dead being buried in a yard in Texas. That is the reality of the import process to me.

What makes me keep going, is the fact that the gravid female could have been purchased by anyone....ANYONE. I've learned money is rarely turned down, so a person with zero experience could have bought her and just thought she was fat never knowing she was gravid. She may never of had a chance to lay her eggs. The other two I brought home could very well be sitting in a glass aquarium somewhere slowing dying from stress and never having the chance to survive. The import process is brutal no doubt. That is the motivation I need to keep trying to breed these animals for blood lines. My goal isn't to get one successful breeding so I can make a little money...I could care less about the money. We need to make all the efforts we can to establish blood lines for all chameleon species that are regularly part of the trade. That should be the ultimate motivation.

Back
Top Bottom