Why do we use basking bulbs?

And not CHE(ceramic heat emitters)? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have heat where the uvb bulbs are? If you need to brighten your cage, add some grow lights.

What incredible timing for this post! I just yesterday added a second linear fixture for a 65k bulb and went back to my CHE. The plant bulbs I was using weren't giving me the numbers I needed and instead of buying a higher wattage I just went back to the ceramic bulb.

And not CHE(ceramic heat emitters)? Wouldn't it make more sense to just have heat where the uvb bulbs are? If you need to brighten your cage, add some grow lights.
Because I was told heat... Then later learned to point my heat lamp where the uvb was... This could still be done in my set up with a CHE. But now I have a ton of bulbs. And do you know how hard it is to get incandescent bulbs in cali? Apparently it is a no go here.

Now you could also do away with basking bulbs in some cases if you are running quads due to the heat output depending on your temps... Especially for females I would think. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Main reason would be cost. Incandescent blubs are much less costly and can be controlled by a cheap dimmer to allow for the correct basking temperature.

I do this exactly actually. I have a CHE on an on/off thermostat (much cheaper than the dimming thermostat needed if you go with a basking bulb instead) pointed to basking branch under UVB and Sansi plant bulbs.

Because I was told heat... Then later learned to point my heat lamp where the uvb was... This could still be done in my set up with a CHE. But now I have a ton of bulbs. And do you know how hard it is to get incandescent bulbs in cali? Apparently it is a no go here.

Now you could also do away with basking bulbs in some cases if you are running quads due to the heat output depending on your temps... Especially for females I would think. Correct me if I am wrong though.

Seeing how much the temp increased with my second linear fixture I will try this when I test new enclosures before I move Mona. I'll be getting a quad. Wonder how high the temps get.

Seeing how much the temp increased with my second linear fixture I will try this when I test new enclosures before I move Mona. I'll be getting a quad. Wonder how high the temps get.
Well I know in my dragon strand clearside without the basking light I was getting temps of 83 at 7-8 inches down. My quad puts out a ton of heat. I have my basking light on a thermostat and pulled up much higher now since we have vaulted ceilings. It does not turn off and on constantly here like it did before with the standard ceiling height. But I was also testing the quad fixture in the lower ceiling height where all the heat would sit. Let me know what you get for readings.

Friends, friends CHE give off heat, but not light and are more easily controlled through a dimmer/thermostat. They also last longer. If chams are going to bask, they are likely looking for heat+uvb so why not just point the CHE where the basking spot is with the uvb and whatever other lights you have. My thinking is why do we recommend an incandescent bulb over CHE.

Back
Top Bottom