Why do we use basking bulbs?

The Exo Terra 600w dimming/pulse proportional thermostat came in the mail today. Up to 65$ on Amazon. I'd gladly return it if someone has a cheaper PPT they know about.

Why why why wouldn't they run the day/night function on a light sensor and not a 24 hour timer?

Another hole in the screen for this probe. Not that excited.

Someone keeps mentioning that thermostats are cheap in conjunction with CHE, but is that strictly on/off? I don't really like the idea of an on/off basking source. Maybe in conjunction with plant lights the cham wouldn't notice too much?

I'm glad I bit the bullet on the Mist King, it's leagues above the other systems I researched, mostly for the custom reservoir. Is the over $100 thermostats really worth it? For using with only a CHE?

I was wondering if UVB and CHE on a thermostat would be sufficient lighting/basking. From comments here already, I'm gathering that this is not recommended. Granted in my circumstance I have plenty of natural light already.

I've decided to add plant lights. Anyone know if these wear out over time like UVBs, by the way?

I'd also be interested in hearing more, if anyone knows, about what light spectrum chams like and other experiences using CHE/thermostat with chameleons.

CHE + thermostat + UVB is recommended, I recommended it, and I am boss around here ;)

The Exo Terra 600w dimming/pulse proportional thermostat came in the mail today. Up to 65$ on Amazon. I'd gladly return it if someone has a cheaper PPT they know about.

Why why why wouldn't they run the day/night function on a light sensor and not a 24 hour timer?

Another hole in the screen for this probe. Not that excited.

Someone keeps mentioning that thermostats are cheap in conjunction with CHE, but is that strictly on/off? I don't really like the idea of an on/off basking source. Maybe in conjunction with plant lights the cham wouldn't notice too much?

I'm glad I bit the bullet on the Mist King, it's leagues above the other systems I researched, mostly for the custom reservoir. Is the over $100 thermostats really worth it? For using with only a CHE?
My CHE and Sansi spotlight plant light are both aimed at same basking area, my cham basks under them no issues. The CHE is on a $30something on/off thermostat, with day/night setting and doesn't seem to notice it going on and off to maintain temp.

So a T5HO UVB 5 or 10 *on its own* is enough light/the only light a cham needs, heat aside?

Assuming your cage is light enough(you said you have natural light?). My point was that we'd probably be better off using grow lights for lighting up the cage if needed, but then have a CHE on thermostat(once again, if needed, many chams would do just fine with the temp from a grow bulb). Then just have the UVB. The regular incandescent will do very little for plants, doesn't last all that long, and doesn't brighten up the cage.

Back
Top Bottom