Why do we use basking bulbs?

So the one issue not being addressed is the additional spectrum of light offered from the bulbs. It adds to a more natural experience. A heat emitter will not "show" the animal the source, and simply pointing it at the UVB source may not work.
Not that it can't work, I just prefer the bulbs.

I agree with that, but it would make sense they are seeking out uvb since in the wild it would be paired with heat. They don't have a warm bright area with no uvb. When I say all this I assume one has a brightly lit cage already, either by a window or using grow lights. Infact I have no problem using grow lights as a basking spot either.

Ok here is my issue with the CHE.... Like there is no light.. How do I know if it is working? What if it stops working and I don't know because there is no light. The top of Beman's cage is soooooo much taller then I am. It is not like I can just reach over and see if it is warm. I would need a step stool. I am Vertically challenged. It is a real issue. Granted it is 10:17 at night right now and I am really tired. But this totally makes sense to me. Light means heat... Ok I am done. I may be over tired. :hilarious:

Lol, at 6'4 I don't have your problem! My problem is hitting my head off every damn thing in this house because the ceiling fans are too low.

You could have a sensor thermometer at basking so that you could see what the temps are. They should last a very long time, probably longer than a lot of animals live? Don't quote me on that though.

Lol, at 6'4 I don't have your problem! My problem is hitting my head off every damn thing in this house because the ceiling fans are too low.

You could have a sensor thermometer at basking so that you could see what the temps are. They should last a very long time, probably longer than a lot of animals live? Don't quote me on that though.
Uggg I struggle with height. it sucks. I am only 5'4. Like your a foot talker then me lol. I think I am too OCD for a CHE. I would lose my mind. :hilarious:

Uggg I struggle with height. it sucks. I am only 5'4. Like your a foot talker then me lol. I think I am too OCD for a CHE. I would lose my mind. :hilarious:

See my thinking is that they would be easier to manage, cheaper, and reliable? I have no problems with anyone using a basking bulb, I used to when i had indoor chams. Thought just crossed my mind that maybe it'd make more sense to use a CHE and that I rarely see them used.

See my thinking is that they would be easier to manage, cheaper, and reliable? I have no problems with anyone using a basking bulb, I used to when i had indoor chams. Thought just crossed my mind that maybe it'd make more sense to use a CHE and that I rarely see them used.
How are they cheaper? Here they are like 3 times the price of a incandescent. I had bought one for my dubia before I switch to a heat pad and took it back. It was 35 bucks for the dang thing. I was shocked. Do they last forever or something?

How are they cheaper? Here they are like 3 times the price of a incandescent. I had bought one for my dubia before I switch to a heat pad and took it back. It was 35 bucks for the dang thing. I was shocked. Do they last forever or something?
Waaaaay cheaper than that on amazon!

Yes they last a long long time. Had mine for two years now. And when I move I plan to get a thermostat dimmer so I can dial on the temps perfectly! Again the main reason I use it is I just could hot get the temp with a bulb but I didnt use incandescent I used a plant bulb and had the CHE so didnt want to buy anything else.

Waaaaay cheaper than that on amazon!
Yeah when I bought the one I had I was in a hurry because my dubia were not eating since they were too cold. But I had to have their bin in the house which made it take up more room then I wanted to with the CHE. Then I switched to a heat pad with an on/off thermostat.

Heat pads are known fire risks, there's ways to minimalize it and put safety measures in place, but not something I want to mess with with 2 babies.

CHE are expensive because they last so long, not sure what the electricity cost is though. They work very well with dimmers and thermostats too while IME lights can be weird with them. Paying upfront to save money in the long run I guess

I agree with that, but it would make sense they are seeking out uvb since in the wild it would be paired with heat. They don't have a warm bright area with no uvb. When I say all this I assume one has a brightly lit cage already, either by a window or using grow lights. Infact I have no problem using grow lights as a basking spot either.

So I had experimented with LED plant bulbs as basking spots. My plants did terribly because they would dry out. The bulbs have internal fans that must be enough to damage the leaves. The temps I was getting were good, but I have since switched back.

So I had experimented with LED plant bulbs as basking spots. My plants did terribly because they would dry out. The bulbs have internal fans that must be enough to damage the leaves. The temps I was getting were good, but I have since switched back.
So I use an led plant bulb by Sansi, no fans. Works great, I have 5-6 of them on different enclosures I love them so much. Plants thrive.

So the one issue not being addressed is the additional spectrum of light offered from the bulbs. It adds to a more natural experience. A heat emitter will not "show" the animal the source, and simply pointing it at the UVB source may not work.
Not that it can't work, I just prefer the bulbs.
So yeah, I agree so I have my Sansi led spot light plant bulb and my CHE pointed to branches under my UVB for a nice bright spot, plus I'm also running a linear T5 HO 6500k daylight bulb. Nice and bright. If I was only running just the UVB, I don't think that would be enough light and would do a basking bulb instead of the CHE in that instance.

I remember we talked about this before, strange though as I've had bromeliads a couple inches from jungle Dawn's that thrived and they tend to like/need humidity even. I have pictures of it too. I've also used them for carnivorous plants with great success. The t5s for LYR did very little for me and I had better results with t8 LED tubes lol.

Only UVB would obviously be not enough light, so if we're talking that why not just use a grow bulb over a CHE or incandescent? Let's be honest, if you want live plants, but only an incandescent and a uvb bulb, then you're not going to have live plants for long, with the exception of some low light pothos. If you have a window supplying enough light for plants, then your cage is probably already bright. The basking incandescents aren't even that bright and if they are, they're likely too hot.

Ok here is my issue with the CHE.... Like there is no light.. How do I know if it is working? What if it stops working and I don't know because there is no light. The top of Beman's cage is soooooo much taller then I am. It is not like I can just reach over and see if it is warm. I would need a step stool. I am Vertically challenged. It is a real issue. Granted it is 10:17 at night right now and I am really tired. But this totally makes sense to me. Light means heat... Ok I am done. I may be over tired. :hilarious:

LMAO!!!! (Short people taking care of chamleons is hilarious.)

Honestly the biggest reason I use CHEs on all my reptile/amphibian/bug enclosures is that I want them all on thermostats. CHEs can be on simple $30 on/off thermostats whereas basking bulbs would need to be on $100+ dimming thermostats.

I was wondering if UVB and CHE on a thermostat would be sufficient lighting/basking. From comments here already, I'm gathering that this is not recommended. Granted in my circumstance I have plenty of natural light already.

I've decided to add plant lights. Anyone know if these wear out over time like UVBs, by the way?

I'd also be interested in hearing more, if anyone knows, about what light spectrum chams like and other experiences using CHE/thermostat with chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom