why cant canada get chameleons from the states!

boothy

hey everyone at chamforums, how are you? im good im just wondering why chameleons cannot be shipped over the border from the states to canada , because i emailed pam at pams chams and she said that i would have to send her a cities permit? does this mean i have to send her the cities permit of my city , im just wondering because i would like to get a panther soon and any help would be grealty apprecaited

Its actually called a CITES permit. CITES is an international agreement that monitors the trade in endangered species. Chameleons are listed on CITES appendix II and as such, all international trade requires permits which are acquired by the exporter. These permits signify that the animal is captive bred, legally collected and imported or otherwise of legal origin and its sale and trade will not negatively impact wild populations. These permits cost money, take a lot of time to obtain and often require a considerable amount of paperwork proving legal origins of founding stock, etc. Additionally, international sales require export licenses in the US, import licenses in the country of import and inspections on both ends. Finally, all international shipping of these animals needs to be via airlines through designated ports of entry. Every piece of the process costs time and money and it is not worth an exporter's (or importer's) time except for considerably large orders.

Chris

Its not customs it is CITES paperwork, it takes time lots of it and many US breders canot hold chams long enough for that to take place.

ok thanks alot chris and brandy , know i know why alot of ppl here in canada dont have panther chams

Why don't you just go to the reptile expo next month in Mississauga. Picked up a couple of panthers there last month. Your not that far from Mississauga.

Its not customs it is CITES paperwork, it takes time lots of it and many US breders canot hold chams long enough for that to take place.

I just glanced over the paperwork once quite some time ago realized it was too much hassle...didnt know what the code wordwas but the point of the whole thread is...its too much hassle.

Back
Top Bottom