Why are veiled chameleons so cranky?

Iv heard it all depends on the Cham itself, I know some1 That has had 6 nd only 1 nice 1!! Does it depend on how you interact with them?? I want 1 but want it to be nice, so what I'm thinking is if I take things very slowly, let him settle in then offer him food by hand, then food by hand so he has to step on me to get it, then when he is coming to my hand, keep feeding and free ranging him??? Would this be my best option???

Iv heard it all depends on the Cham itself, I know some1 That has had 6 nd only 1 nice 1!! Does it depend on how you interact with them?? I want 1 but want it to be nice, so what I'm thinking is if I take things very slowly, let him settle in then offer him food by hand, then food by hand so he has to step on me to get it, then when he is coming to my hand, keep feeding and free ranging him??? Would this be my best option???

Thats a great idea. If mine is hungry she will come down to the same branch everytime I walk in the room. If it thinks it has to walk down your arm to get fed, it will prob do it every time.

Definitely creatures of habit.

When me and my girlfriend 1st got our panther, I didnt even bother him for the 1st week, then hand fed for a week, then slowly started to introduce my hand, now he loves coming out, when we go to put him back in he runs up our arm in the opposite direction lol I think he likes my girlfriend more though coz when she goes into the room he actually starts to scratch the glass for her to get him out lol

I was afraid of getting a veiled for the reason of being cranky but for the time being my Ambilobe is a good companion :) I.wanna know how veiled owners can calm them down peobably like you guys have explained

Every veiled that I've ever had is sweet and lovable. I treat them with nothing but love and respect. I interact with them daily and I free range. It makes a chameleon happy. :)

It's just in their nature to be fearful of all potential predators, which we humans are. I don't think it's a bummer, in fact I like them that way. I want my veiled chameleon to act like a veiled chameleon. Also don't be impatient, give them time to get accustomed to you and build trust. Some people say handling them everyday is one way to gain their trust. I prefer to just go about my business and eventually they will get use to you.

My male was very territorial when he was a baby but not so much recently. He doesn't hide and stays very relaxed when I'm feeding and maintaining his enclosure. He also likes to come out and explore. My female was really sweet as a baby and wasn't scared of me. Now at approx. 5 months she hides whenever I'm feeding her or cleaning her cage and will hiss and snap at me if I get to close. I love them both!

I rescued a feral cat once and it took him 5 years before he warmed up to me and even longer to trust other people. We lived together for 15 years and became great friends, sadly he passed away a few months ago but he lived a long and happy life. Most people probably would have lost patience and have him put down, but my persistence and patience was rewarded with a great friendship that I will never forget or replace.

Last edited:
Every veiled Ive owned has tried to attack me whenever they could. They are gorgeous chameleons but more often then not have the worst dispositions. Kind of like Nile monitors, beautiful, but 90% of them are nasty and wont hesitate to bite. Those of you who have sweet, calm veileds are very lucky.

Iv heard of they try to bite you should try wearing garden gloves nd let them bite you without flinching!! Then after a few times of them seeing that biting doesn't work they stop?
Jannb do you have any techniques???

That question is just like asking why your baby tiger isnt as tame as your sweet lil putty cat. Its just their nature, they're just territorial and aggressive. Y'rer just going tohave to accept that as reality. Maybe yours calms down, but dont be made if he doessnt.

That question is just like asking why your baby tiger isnt as tame as your sweet lil putty cat. Its just their nature, they're just territorial and aggressive. Y'rer just going tohave to accept that as reality. Maybe yours calms down, but dont be made if he doessnt.

Comparing taming a tiger to a chameleon is a bit extreme!!!! Surely if they are brought up around humans and interactions they could adapt, especially if they are interacted with from a very young age!!!

I hand feed my chameleon but when i go to put my hand near hear, she runs away.... I try and put my hand near her slowly but she just doesn't like it..... but she will hand feed.

Please inform me how to love on a lizard, Id love to know lol

I hold mine and take them for walks outside around my pool. I allow them to ride on my head or shoulder. I also stroke them in their favorite spots and I kiss them. :D

PadreadndJann42911024.jpg

Me and my veiled Luie

MekissingLuie.jpg

Last edited:
my little Stanley is the sweetest guy ever!!! but why wouldn't he be, i got him from Jann, he's a Luie and Camile baby, he's been handled since he came out of the egg!! :)
IMG2474-M.jpg

Stanley-0391-M.jpg

Back
Top Bottom