Why are veiled chameleons so cranky?

Way off topic now in this thread but my veiled is a sweet heart. He has an attitude though on him. He hisses at me on occasion but mostly when I startle him. He has a big free range and hand feeds. Like jannb said that makes them happy and a happy Cham is less likely to be a meany.

Comparing a cham to a pit bull is a bit extreme as well!!!
I believe this is how we started off ;)
Lol so fighting dogs are born??? Not bred and raised??? That's your position.... Puppys come out killing!!!! Lololol

Chams and dogs are not something I would compare to extensively as to good owners and a good cham... I actually would never compare a reptile too a mamal for that matter as far as attitude is concerned... Dogs were bred for human companionship... For a long long time... Chameleons are only just starting to experience this...

Just fyi... My aunts German sheperd and chocolate lab chase people and bark at them and have bitten a couple people... I dont blame German shepherds and Labradors Lol... I don't know if you can relate what I'm saying... But its work time so I actually CAN'T respond again!!!

I don't mean any of this as a personal attack... We argue nonstop in our family so sometimes it comes off rude to others... So I apologize if anything seemed rude!! Oh no please don't take my responses as attacks!

In some cases, they are born like this. Maybe not bulls. Germans are born loyal to whoever is loyal to them. But you must get them at an early age.

That's great that your aunt's dogs are aggressive! That's what I hear about pit bulls, 'ya know!

All is forgiven, friend, and I hope you forgive me as well ;). I did not mean in attack. Good day to you, chap.

I bought a veiled for my girlfriend and right now he is very grumpy when we take him out he puffs up but then he will relax and calm down he really likes his spine rubbed

....No. Just... no.

Pit bulls are not sweeties. They are animals that have the least tolerance of any dogs. If you want a sweet dog, go buy a yorkie or a chihuahua. People say they're sweet and the next thing you know... It doesn't matter about the owner for this dog. Sure, it might, until it grows mature and dominant... They're animals of territory. And must be respected for that fact. At some point or another, they will attempt to show aggression and dominance over their owner. I will not argue this subject any longer.

Most ignorant post I have ever read. A chihuahua? They were bred to fight as well, and are far meaner in my experience than pit bulls. Pit bulls have been america's favorite breed of dog for a very long time, because they are strong enough to protect the house and loyal enough to be trusted around the family. Only recently have they gotten a bad name. I have never been bit by a pit bull and have never not been bit by a chihuahua.

Naw buddy he or she has to open up cause thanks to a few ppl up here Henry is the sweetest chamber in the world now:D

Way off topic now in this thread but my veiled is a sweet heart. He has an attitude though on him. He hisses at me on occasion but mostly when I startle him. He has a big free range and hand feeds. Like jannb said that makes them happy and a happy Cham is less likely to be a meany.

I know right! Let's get back on topic and off of bulls...

My guy hissed at me for the first time today! Right before his lights came on, I opened his cage to say hi. He hissed at me and ran away! I felt so bad... I was gone for about 4 days and just got back yesterday so maybe he's scolding me fro being gone :confused: We're such awesome friends... but we made up (I hand watered and fed him ;))

It really depends on the cham's personality. They usually are born a certain way, or sometimes change drastically at maturity. It really sucks for those of you that have mean veileds!

Most ignorant post I have ever read. A chihuahua? They were bred to fight as well, and are far meaner in my experience than pit bulls. Pit bulls have been america's favorite breed of dog for a very long time, because they are strong enough to protect the house and loyal enough to be trusted around the family. Only recently have they gotten a bad name. I have never been bit by a pit bull and have never not been bit by a chihuahua.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL....

THIS is the most ignorant post I have ever read. Get on topic and back off.

I used chihuahua as an example, friend. Favorite dog??? And you think I'M ignorant??? Protect??? I've already done this with NosyBe, please don't start another off topic stupid discussion.

No dis, please understand. But nonsense, off-topic, unrealistic replies like this make me upset. If you respond, make it on-topic to the thread.

Veiled-Pitbull
Panther-Rottweiler
Jackson's-German Shepherd
Fischer's-Golden Retriever
Quads-Irish Setter
Bearded Pygmy-Chihuahua
Mellers-Toy Poodle
Parsons-Saint Bernard

All in good fun everyone...:)

I bought a veiled for my girlfriend and right now he is very grumpy when we take him out he puffs up but then he will relax and calm down he really likes his spine rubbed

Don't worry, he'll warm up. Congrats on the new guy!! I think you will find that veileds are more like German shepherds than pit bulls as they will be mean if they have had a bad history and nice if you raise them well. Just hand feed him (if you associate yourself with food that's always good ;)) and spend some time around him and he will get used to you. Best of luck with your new guy!!

My guys just come back.from the vet and I was expecting stressing and hissing and nasty black colours and got none of it! Little dude let me down haha

My guys just come back.from the vet and I was expecting stressing and hissing and nasty black colours and got none of it! Little dude let me down haha

Lol! Is that a bad thing?

But yep I just held my guy two minutes ago and he turns the happiest green, tan, yellow and blue colors I've ever seen! My beautiful Yoshi... :rolleyes:

Lol no bad thing at all, he was just totally bein manhandled and I expected his grumpy side!
He's only nearing five months tho.. I expect it all to change soon!

Lol no bad thing at all, he was just totally bein manhandled and I expected his grumpy side!
He's only nearing five months tho.. I expect it all to change soon!

My guy is 13 months old and still a happy camper! I just saw his sperm plug a few days ago though on a branch... that kinda seems weird for a 13 month old veiled... :/

I too have owned pitbulls; and a german shepard and a doberman that were "sweet" but there is something in the breed that makes them an excellent guard dog and/or fighting dogs. They can be brutally violent and aggressive even when trained otherwise. These are characteristics of the breed that can be enhanced or minimized but never fully removed from a pure breed.

my vieled is a sweetheart the only problem is the food strikes and beeing such obsesive on worms !

when my veiled comes out with me he get's stressed out at first but doesn't get mad anymore especially if i bring him outside with me and i watch him he turns happy with magnificent colors.

Back
Top Bottom