Wholesale prices?

BECHARD4

Established Member
I am a hobbyist and some of my baby Ambilobe Panthers are ready to be sold.
What should I expect to get if they want them at wholesale?

Last edited:
I really hope you don't wholesale them. It's condemning them to cruelty, neglect, and sometimes downright abuse.

Wholesale is the right word. And that is exactly what I mean. Sell to people who want to own them as pets or use them for breeding and will take good care of them, not to people who will sell them again and certainly not pet stores. Again, it's condemning the babies.

lol wholesale is the right word and you should make some money! depending on the breed and coloring ive seen them anywhere from 100-300 in stores. best of luck

Please don't sell them to a pet store. I've seen far too many chameleons die at the hands of pet stores. :(

I can think of a handful of great specialty reptile stores down the OP's way and these animals will be cared for and sold to proper homes. Do not assume that all pet stores are bad and these babies are doomed.

Unfortunately I do not know what wholesale pricing is in Canada these days.

I know in the usa the highest I've been offered was 75, but I just can't justify it letting them go for that. That is a 50 / 50 mix on the gender as well.

Scott

I have been offered $ 50.00 per baby from a breeder and because I am new I don't know if this is good or bad.

if their veilds thats a little at the low end but not bad. ive seen them for sale for 75 if their panthers that is very cheap

I don't understand all this pet store bashing. In Sacramento we have the serpentarium which is a reptile specialty shop and they take great care of their animals.
Let's not stereotype all pet stores as bad.
That is where most of us got our first pets.

What you need to do is research the prices here in Canada. First, see what other private breeders are selling at, and then your local stores, there will be a difference in the retail prices. Mark up can be anywhere from 25%(which is low, and don't go any lower than that), to 75%, depending on current market value and the local or species being sold. A store could pay $200 for a lizard from their regular supplier, and then maybe only $150 from you, they will still mark it up to the current going price(sometimes, but not always, will they hold a sale if they get a good price, just means more money for them).

So if a store is selling an Ambilobe Panther for $275, take that price and divide by 1.50(150%), = $183.33, would be about what they paid cost(wholesale) for it. Sounds about right to me. At my local stores, I see female panthers retail for $250-300 and males $350-450. Then I look at private breeders that sell females for $150-200, and males $250-350.

Now, to compete with those prices, go to the store with a price you would like to sell for(and also know your bottom dollar so you can haggle). If they don't like your price, ask to see their price list, and only once you see what they are paying, say you will beat that price by 15% for example. Keep in mind that it's not just the 15% they are saving, they are not paying taxes, shipping costs, or import charges if they apply. Makes the price even better for them.

Another thing to keep in mind is the cost to feed them until they are ready for sale, this needs to be incorporated into your asking price. And yes, you need to make a profit on the food as well. If food costs $15 for each lizard, per month, mark that up 25%. So now food costs $18.75 per month. If you are selling them at 3 months old, food costs $56.25. You sell your lizard for $150, you are now making $93.75 profit. That profit reflects your time and care and running around to make deliveries. Are you happy with that pay out?

Businesses also require receipts. You can find a receipt book in any office supply section. You can operate your own business under your name, as long as sales are under $10K a year. This is where that question comes in at tax return time, "Have you had any other income through out the year." You should be claiming the extra income to pay tax on it. If a company you sold to ends up being audited, and they find your receipt, they will check in to see if you claimed that income. If you haven't, then you will be audited as well, and will need to pay the tax on the amount of sales you made(private sales don't really require a receipt...but I didn't tell you that lol).

Hopefully that helps! Have fun selling:) If you want to ship I may be interested in a couple females:)

Canada I'm not sure about, except that for the most part Canadian panthers cost more than ones in the USA.

I generally see USA wholesale lots of 10 for $90-100 per baby (50/50 mix).

So I'd say $100-150 in Canada would be about "right". But it's up to you. Also take into consideration how old they are. If they are under 8 weeks old you'll probably get offered less. If they are 3+ months old, you could probably easily sell the males at slightly lower than the going rate pretty fast.

Back
Top Bottom