Panther concerns

Roamer

Hi, I am new to this group and have a couple of questions about my panther which hopefully someone can answer, I have a glass vivarium which I am struggling to get the temperature above 26/27 deg. At the top, is this too cold also what should the night time temperature be.

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

Please post some photos of your cage please, including the lighting.

Hi
I have attached 3 images, chameleons name is Rizzla, not sure what’s going on with, he was up at 2am this morning rummaging around and went right to the top of the viv

Attachments

• IMG_0264.jpeg
    IMG_0264.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0265.jpeg
    IMG_0265.jpeg
    300.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0267.jpeg
    IMG_0267.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 9
Hi
I have attached 3 images, chameleons name is Rizzla, not sure what’s going on with, he was up at 2am this morning rummaging around and went right to the top of the viv
Hey there your basking temp at the top is actually fine. they should have a basking temp of 27-29C but the ambient rest of the cage temp should be lower 21-23C.
It looks like you were given some incorrect info on enclosure size and style though. A male panther needs a cage that is a minimum 24x24x48 inches. And if you are going with glass you need air inlets at the bottom so the cage will cycle air with the chimney effect. This site will help you learn complete husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then we can answer any questions you have.

Hey there your basking temp at the top is actually fine. they should have a basking temp of 27-29C but the ambient rest of the cage temp should be lower 21-23C.
It looks like you were given some incorrect info on enclosure size and style though. A male panther needs a cage that is a minimum 24x24x48 inches. And if you are going with glass you need air inlets at the bottom so the cage will cycle air with the chimney effect. This site will help you learn complete husbandry https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/
Then we can answer any questions you have.
Hi cage is 24x18x36, purchased with the chameleon as a set up from the shop, I have moved the heat lamp to the back and the UV diagonal the temp at the top is now 30.3 and about 23-25 at the bottom during the day at night it drops, is a lamp or a ceramic heater best

Hi. :) Do you mean you purchased another enclosure for him? The one in the pics is way too small for an adult chameleon. As was said, the minimum standard is a 2x2x4’ (60x60x 120 cm) or equivalent. Being arboreal, height is very important. It’s also essential in order to be able to provide the needed gradients of temp, humidity and uvb. Males especially appreciate having space as they are just a little bit more active than females, doing regular patrols of their enclosure and always alert for a pretty girl or an easy meal. Once you have the correct size, then you want to create a forest edge style for him. Lots of branches of varied diameters to exercise little mitten feet properly, plenty of live and safe plants to lap water from, take shade under, hide in and just feel protected. Pothos is an excellent and versatile plant for chameleons, with its perfectly sized leaves and long vines which add more places to grip onto. Basking temp for an adult male panther should not go any higher than about 29c. If your uvb is the standard T5HO with either a 6% or 5.0 bulb, then you need to have basking area be approx 20-22 cm below lights. You want a 12 hour on/off lighting schedule and no lights at night. Unless your temps go below about 16c, there is no need for adding heat at night. You want a cool night. If your temps at night are consistently below 20-21c, you should add a fogger/humidifier for a few hours in the early AM to boost humidity as high as possible. This simulates the natural hydration chameleons get in the wild from fog. I could go on and on, but instead will refer you to https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-basics/ which is loaded with everything you could possibly want to know and then some. In addition to the website, there are podcasts, videos (YouTube) and an e zine. Another fantastic source if you prefer videos is https://www.neptunethechameleon.com/ She has a video for just about everything and her catalog is always growing. Of course, the forum is the place for personalized help, sharing news and pics of your chameleon and once you feel comfortable, helping others who are starting or asking about something you know about.
I do have to ask what locale your chameleon is…he is stunning. 🥰

Back
Top Bottom