Where to buy locusts in the US?

What do you feed them. Every time ive kept them for long periods of time mine have died in the past before i could get them to lay. Do you keep in a tub w/screen top? I usually just feed em off as soon as i catch em. But id love to have a steady supply all summer.

What do you feed them. Every time ive kept them for long periods of time mine have died in the past before i could get them to lay. Do you keep in a tub w/screen top? I usually just feed em off as soon as i catch em. But id love to have a steady supply all summer.

How do you catch them and how long do they last?

How do you catch them and how long do they last?

Find a dry grassy field pretty much anywhere in the US. get a nice big pond net and walk around stirring up all the grass around you. The next step requires some running, or if your like me, ninja skills :rolleyes::p, when you come across one they will jump and fly about 10-20 feet, just sneak up behind them and throw the net over them. It is harder than it sounds for catching these guys and I usually only catch like 3 at a time. I dont know how long they live but keep them hot, give them lots of greens and grasses, and a soil-sand substrate for them to ovipose their eggs. Males are about 1/2 inch smaller than females, and skinnier.

I keep mine in a screen cage outside with two potted hostplants (usually guava) and I also buy wheatgrass and put that in their for them. They lay their eggs in the sandy-soil that my guava plants are in.

Dude, you totalyy described my method also. U cant help but look like a total dork running around with a net and throwing it on the ground. lol What pisses me off is when you catch one and he escapes wwhen your transfering him from net to container. :rolleyes:

Dude, you totalyy described my method also. U cant help but look like a total dork running around with a net and throwing it on the ground. lol What pisses me off is when you catch one and he escapes wwhen your transfering him from net to container. :rolleyes:

YES! I feel your pain! Or when you turn your head and you lost where he was hiding b/c he blends in with the dirt so well. Thats why I try to go to the park on weekdays, when nobody is there.

Yeah thats when i like to go to a nearby nature preserve area. On weekends kids point and laugh at you. lol I will have to get some wheatgrass. Mine would never friggin eat. I tried finding blackberry leaves and they wouldnt touch that. Wouldnt eat romaine either. Picky little buggers.

Yeah thats when i like to go to a nearby nature preserve area. On weekends kids point and laugh at you. lol I will have to get some wheatgrass. Mine would never friggin eat. I tried finding blackberry leaves and they wouldnt touch that. Wouldnt eat romaine either. Picky little buggers.

They eat the wheatgrass, Ive also seen them eat collard green (strait from the ground, as in the plant itself, not just picked leaves) and I also take clippings of the trees I find around the park that have bite marks all over them.

When we caught grasshoppers for fishing we threw a cast net (bought for catching minows) into random fields and always caught a lot.

What about grass hoppers?

S. americana is a grasshopper, you have to catch them yourself, because as previously stated, they are illegal to ship over state lines because they are considered agricultural pest. A locust is just a grasshopper that has entered an eat-and-breed phase, in times of little food desert grasshoppers swarm on little patches of food, the constant rubbing of their legs together signals the swarm instinct and the grasshoppers beging to change color and behavior, a locust that is seperated from the swarm (unlikely) will turn back into a grasshopper in its next moult, unless it is an adult.

i got 4 today in about 15 min. But my guy had already eaten so I didnt give him any yet. Wish i could have found my cast net but i guess i threw it out.

Most o the time i feed them whole. I use these as hand fed treats. U hold them by the back legs and watch your cham attack dude. Best way to teach hand feeding ive tried. My faly is still kinda freaked but ive only had him 3 weeks or so. I will have him feeding by hand in couple months. He already will shoot as soon as i set them on the screen. And move back a ft or so. Not bad for only 4month old cham. And he aint laid back hes a a hellion. lol

Btw,
Only feed aprop sized hoppers. I only give my guy 1 " hoppers. They are a little larger than a crick. You can catch the big adults that get 2" plus. Those are way to big for a juvi cham. Only adults can handle those.

Do you know if it's illegal to send just egg? ther is no law agains locust in canada, and i'll would really really like to get some... the wild one we have in quebec doesent seem to be good for breeding...
Do you keep teem all where long? how much time from the egg to adulte?

Back
Top Bottom