where can i buy black crickets from?

BatCity93

I have been looking at these crickets and they seem to grow much bigger than the regular brow crickets, so i assume the black crickets pack more nutrition, than the regular ones. so does anyone know any reliable online stores where i can get my hands on these little big guys?
ps my local pet store does not sale them.

I believe the species you are referring to is Gryllus assimilis. A few years back, you may or may not recall the cricket virus that was affecting many populations of breeder Acheta domesticus (domestic cricket). The boys at American Cricket Ranch picked up the new species of Gryllus and ran with it. I think that is still all they have. I was all about it at first, since these guys are a little more hardy than domesticus. Low and behold they bite. This species are much more likely to tear into any living thing you put them in with. I, nor any of the pet stores I work with, or other breeders I know of use them on any regular basis. I won't use them at all anymore, mostly because of their aggressive nature.

As far as nutritional value, I think their exoskeleton is thicker, thus having the same ratio just on a slightly higher scale. Besides, as far as crickets are concerned, feeding more smaller crickets (even to adult chams) yields higher nutrional transfer. I assume part of this is related to thinner exoskeleton in younger animals. This is all further supported by Ferguson et al. 2006.

I wouldn't waste the time unless you have a group of strong and hungry monitors that need some chase-able treats. But if you still do want to try them, check out American Cricket Ranch.

The batch I bought from mulberry farms, a sponser on the forum they were black. As for more nutrition I think the bigger they get the less they have?

Man I have thousands of these things running around my yard and garage. One of the buildings at the college I go to, has an infestation and it's like a year old building.:eek: it's like the plague in Oklahoma right now man

i wish i would have known this because i have a bunch in my back yard in july and august i would have just sent to you but i haven't seen any for a couple of weeks

Back
Top Bottom