When do I know to put her down?

CamiGirl89

As many of you know, Cami has been going through some huge health issues lately. She had been having seizures for months, and the vet put her on liquid calcium to see if that would help her. Long story short, and 2 vet visits later, the vet concluded that, due to bad genetics/breeding, if this liquid calcium did not fix the problem, that Cami would have a much more serious issue. As of about 10 days ago, Cami started seizing again. Now, she sits towards the bottom of her cage most of the time, is typically black/brown (NOT normal), can't drink without choking, has no interest in food, and is overall doing terribly. Came home today to her all dark brown/black with her eyes gunked up pretty badly. I am guessing she is developing pneumonia, due to the fact that she constantly chokes on her own water. My question is... I don't know what else to do for her. Both of her vets agree that, whatever the next step will be, it will involve hundreds of dollars and, most likely, her dying at the end of it all anyway. When do I know to say good-bye to Cami?

Im so sorry that you're going through this with Camille. I had to put down several dogs during my lifetime but never a chameleon. I love my chams just the same and I would do the exact same.

The way I knew when to put my dogs down was to think about their quality o life. Once I knew that living is so much harder and painful than being home, it's time. It's a hard decision but you have to put yourself in their shoes and not be selfish and let them suffer anymore than they have to do that you feel their companionship. I hope this helps but I know it's easier said than done. I support whatever decision you make and we're all here for you.

That is a question many of us face that own pets. its a hard decision in my eyes because i feel like im playing god. I however feel the need as a care giver to do whats best and what i would want done. Yes, humanizing it in a way. Call it what you want but for some of use this type of thing is tough. Anyways, i feel once you think the animals health wont recover nor will the animal be able to live a good life. It may be that time to say good bye.

When you feel her quality of life is gone and she is suffering beyond what a normal cham would be tolerated in the wild, then it would be up to you to hold her and make the decision that is in your heart.

Thank you for your kind words and opinions. If there is no improvement in the next 24 hours, I think I will let Cami cross that rainbow bridge where she won't feel anymore pain. She can go play there with her 3 hatchlings that passed a couple weeks ago. I thought she might last longer than this, but I think it is nearing time for me to stop being selfish, and let her go.

Last edited:
When you feel her quality of life is gone and she is suffering beyond what a normal cham would be tolerated in the wild, then it would be up to you to hold her and make the decision that is in your heart.

I totally agree with Jan... As animal lovers and caretakers it is one of the hardest decisions we have to make for them,,,, but in the long run the kindest!!!

My heart goes out to you, I've had to do it twice to my furry friends,,, it's a get difficult decision to make.. :(

I feel so awful for you and for cami. You may not realize it but you knew the answer was now, when you ask the question. When you are questioning if it is time, the only one who needs time to accept this reality is us not our chams. I think at that point they are just waiting on us. Just remember the good times.

totally hate that you are having to ponder this matter at all. Like others said you have to gauge when her quality of life has diminished. Sadly we usually do not react until its past the point where the pet's living is more painful for it than it is for us to have them put to sleep.

Jessica, I am so sorry to hear that Cami is not doing well. As Lance said above follow your heart. Only you can make this decision. Don't let anyone else influence you because its you that will have to live with it.

I'm so sorry Jessica. She'll tell you when she's ready to go, you know her well enough, and as others have said, it kind of sounds like you know the answer to your question.

Having had two chameleons die at home, I chose to have my third put to sleep when it was clear that she wasn't getting better, she was declining faster and faster. She slept all the time and just seemed to be waiting rather than fighting.

It is a horrible time, but you know we are all here for you, and we know how much this will hurt you.

My two cents...

its time when it hurts you more to see her suffering and you being unable to help her, than the pain caused of her no longer being a part of your life.

Little Cami went up to join her hatchlings today. She will be very missed, but it is good to know that she is out of pain.

Little Cami went up to join her hatchlings today. She will be very missed, but it is good to know that she is out of pain.

I'm so sorry little Cami wasn't doing well. She is no longer in any more pain, she is up in Cham Heaven eating all the crickets she can eat :)

R.I.P. Little Camille

Sorry to hear this but she doesn't have the pain any longer and you've got the great memories of her that can never be taken away from you!

Back
Top Bottom