When and how should I clean my cage

I am wondering if I should clean my cage, not sure how, and if I’m ready
We’d love to help you with that! Fill this out and post good pics and we will walk you through it!
Chameleon Info:
◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
2 Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? IT IS A MALE CHAMELEON. I believe it is maybe 3-4 months old. It’s been in my care for 1.5 months.
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I TRY TO HOLD IT MAYBE 3 times a week.
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I give them 5-10 crickets daily, with calcium d3 every other Wednesday and citizens on the other Wednesday’s in between. Sometimes I’ll give them a horn worm.
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I MIST MY CAGE WITH DISTILLED WATER FOR 3 MINUTES. 4 TIMEs day.
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Healthy brown, and a white with streaks of yellow.

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ZOOMED 16x16x30, 12 hours a day of heat and uvb.
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 90 at the top and around 75 at the bottom. I had a digital thermometer.
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 70-90 humidity level.
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I HAVE 2 LIVE PLANTS, ONE BEING A POTHOS AND A ASPERAGUS FERN.
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? MY CAGE Is LOCATED ON A NIGHT STAND NOT NEAR ANY VENTS. No loud noises.
◦Location - Where are you. I’m in Georgia. And in the north region near Atlanta.

Cleaning can be as simple as picking up the poo with a bit of paper towel daily or as complex as breaking down and disinfecting the entire cage.
I've broken down the levels in my blog. You decide what level you need.
Cage Cleaning • Sanitation it's sexier than you think (Part 1)
Cage Cleaning • Sanitation it's sexier than you think (Part 2) Weekly Cleaning
Cage Cleaning • Sanitation it's sexier than you think (Part 3) Deep Cleaning
OHHHH I loved these blogs! So good!

Hi there! See my questions and comments in Red :)

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? IT IS A MALE CHAMELEON. I believe it is maybe 3-4 months old. It’s been in my care for 1.5 months.
◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I TRY TO HOLD IT MAYBE 3 times a week.
◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I give them 5-10 crickets daily, with calcium d3 every other Wednesday and citizens on the other Wednesday’s in between. Sometimes I’ll give them a horn worm.
Are you using calcium without d3? You should be feeding 12-15 feeders every day for a 3-4 month old cham. WHat are you gutloading with?
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I MIST MY CAGE WITH DISTILLED WATER FOR 3 MINUTES. 4 TIMEs day. Make sure you allow the cage to dry out in between as well.
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. Healthy brown, and a white with streaks of yellow. How much yellow...

Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? ZOOMED 16x16x30, 12 hours a day of heat and uvb. Is this the zoomed chameleon kit that has the double dome lighting? You will need a T5HO linear fixture and 10.0 uvb bulb to go in it along with the heat lamp.
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? 90 at the top and around 75 at the bottom. I had a digital thermometer. When you say 90 at the top are you meaning at basking level or all the way up under the lights? He should not be any hotter then 85 degrees at basking level.
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 70-90 humidity level. Are you sure it is this high??? How are you measuring it?
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? I HAVE 2 LIVE PLANTS, ONE BEING A POTHOS AND A ASPERAGUS FERN.
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? MY CAGE Is LOCATED ON A NIGHT STAND NOT NEAR ANY VENTS. No loud noises.
◦Location - Where are you. I’m in Georgia. And in the north region near Atlanta.

Yes I’m using without d3 on a basis. And I know about the t5ho. I believe it’s that high. Might be a little bit lower on the humidity. Not a lot of yellow in the water poop. And about 85-90 at the basking level.

Yes I’m using without d3 on a basis. And I know about the t5ho. I believe it’s that high. Might be a little bit lower on the humidity. Not a lot of yellow in the water poop. And about 85-90 at the basking level.
Ok it is really important that the heat is not hotter then 85 at basking. you can use a wired thermometer or a heat gun to check this. If the baby is holding his mouth open (gapping) then it is too hot.
Ok so calcium without d3 daily is good. How are you checking the humidity level? As long as there is not a lot of yellow your good. But if there is then that is a sign of dehydration. Adding a little dripper and putting it on a slow drip is helpful for this.

Back
Top Bottom