What worm am I ?

Smokey

About 3-4 days ago I noticed my girlfriends wc nosy faly wasn't basking and wasn't his normal colors but kind of dull. So I told her I thought something was wrong. She came in the room and was checking him out and seen a worm moving under his skin. I checked him too and it moving was quite a trip being the first time running into something like that. Believe she talked to Dave Weldon about it on the phone n this is what they came up with n my girlfriend performed today. First we got the Cham out put him in a towel then took him to spot she had laid out n sanitized. Laid him down on the towel and I held him down and cut a napkin to cover him and leave a square to do the incision. She put liquid anseptic where she was gonna cut him. She used an xacto knife to do the incision. On the first incision she made the worm quikly moved from that spot when she tried to grab it. So she put more aniseptic on cut then put on liquid bandaid. Laid out Cham to get a better spot on the worm. She did a second incision right next to the worms head this time being perfect and seeing the worm in the cut she took tweezers and was able to get it out. Was so proud of her was like she was a vet. So she put more aniseptic on the cut and closed it with liquid bandaid. That was earlier today and he seemed to be at the top of his cage agian as he was at bottom of cage all day. She gonna do a fecal as soon as he poops.http://emob36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/smokegod/b77c9888.jpghttp://emob36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/smokegod/d36f134e.jpg

Some antiseptics inhibit the healing process of reptiles.. They are not the same as you or I.
edit: I take that back, I can not remember if it is an antiseptic or something else... :rolleyes:

However, in my personal opinion, it's best to let a vet do this next time unless you want a stressed out and potentially dead chameleon.

I've seen a worm like that before but the name doesn't come to mind, sorry.

Congrats on your first home surgery! I think that syn is thinking of antibiotic ointments (triples are bad but doubles are okay - for humans, chams may be another story). It sounds like you guys did a good thing. Cheers!

Reactions: Syn
About 3-4 days ago I noticed my girlfriends wc nosy faly wasn't basking and wasn't his normal colors but kind of dull. So I told her I thought something was wrong. She came in the room and was checking him out and seen a worm moving under his skin. I checked him too and it moving was quite a trip being the first time running into something like that. Believe she talked to Dave Weldon about it on the phone n this is what they came up with n my girlfriend performed today. First we got the Cham out put him in a towel then took him to spot she had laid out n sanitized. Laid him down on the towel and I held him down and cut a napkin to cover him and leave a square to do the incision. She put liquid anseptic where she was gonna cut him. She used an xacto knife to do the incision. On the first incision she made the worm quikly moved from that spot when she tried to grab it. So she put more aniseptic on cut then put on liquid bandaid. Laid out Cham to get a better spot on the worm. She did a second incision right next to the worms head this time being perfect and seeing the worm in the cut she took tweezers and was able to get it out. Was so proud of her was like she was a vet. So she put more aniseptic on the cut and closed it with liquid bandaid. That was earlier today and he seemed to be at the top of his cage agian as he was at bottom of cage all day. She gonna do a fecal as soon as he poops.http://emob36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/smokegod/b77c9888.jpghttp://emob36.photobucket.com/albums/e9/smokegod/d36f134e.jpg

Looks like a nematode. It is highly likely the cham is infested with them. This is common with WC chams. Get it to a vet ASAP so that treatments may begin.
There are probably many, many others that are in the gut area, so obviously you won't see them under the skin.

Congrats on your first home surgery! I think that syn is thinking of antibiotic ointments (triples are bad but doubles are okay - for humans, chams may be another story). It sounds like you guys did a good thing. Cheers!
You got me there! +1

This is the girl friend.:). Anyhow, yes a vet is always good and or better in most ALL cases. But truthfully there are only a select few that I would trust:( Dr Greek being #1 on my list, great vet that has worked with hundreds of Chams. But in my cases I have over 300 reptiles or so and have leard to improvise threw the years. But for the average keeper vet is a must. And the saying do not try this at home needs to be stressed! You can almost say I have a little lab in my house LOL! I have a wide variety of Meds at my disposal, and a high powerd microscope, and good friends. I wanted to get a full fecal to see what the count is on the amount of the Filarial Nematodes. I'm told that by treating him I Might run the danger of killing all the Nematodes threw out his body and possibly causing an infection if he can't absorb them. So I'm in a rock and a hard place here till I can see what I'm up against. All I have to say is WILD CAUGHTS SUCK! :(. I understand the need for new blood but dam....:(. I
Ultimately I will end up treating him as I need a healthy animal to breed or sell....so I hope that he makes it threw with flying colors as he is one of the most gorgeous Falys I have ever seen. He has the most red I've ever seen on one. He's still younge, I imagine his babies will be amazing..... Wish him luck!

Howdy Donald and Nicole,

Funny, as I started reading the thread I was thinking to myself; "I know someone who has that exact same situation" and then I realized who was posting :rolleyes:. We've had long talks about the "ins and outs" of home-style treatments. We've also performed the necropsies on WC's and counted-up the sub-q nematodes infesting the rib cage and elsewhere :(. Pulling one right out of a heart was probably the "smoking gun" in one situation :eek:. Sub-q nematode treatment methods will make a good discussion point at Tuesday's SBCK meeting where Dr. Stein will doing the Q&A session :).

Back
Top Bottom