What to get for my new chameleon

Jspilman

I'm going to buy a veiled chameleon and I was wondering what I needed to get to take care of him/her. I am most likely going to purchase one from PetsMart. The terrarium is most likely going to be 16x30 in. What humidifier should I get that can run itself without too much interaction from me? And is it better to have a closed terrarium or an open one? Plus, any other tips for me? Thanks!

I'm going to buy a veiled chameleon and I was wondering what I needed to get to take care of him/her. I am most likely going to purchase one from PetsMart. The terrarium is most likely going to be 16x30 in. What humidifier should I get that can run itself without too much interaction from me? And is it better to have a closed terrarium or an open one? Plus, any other tips for me? Thanks!

I would suggest you post this in the Enclosure/Supplies Section. This section is for technical assistance with using the website.

You want to get an all screen cage, do not use a glass terrarium as chameleons need lots of air circulation or they can get respiratory infections. I would STRONGLY suggest you not get it from Petsmart. Chameleons from Petsmart/Petco often are not well kept and can come with problems from the start. There's a great list of reputable breeders in the sponsors list where you can obtain a healthy chameleon from.

The best way to keep humidity up is to use live plants along with a Mister. Look into a mistking setup, which is really the best mister on the market (also a sponsor of this website.)

I'm going to second what the others have already said and just emphasize that you PLEASE DO YOUR RESEARCH before buying and make sure you set up the proper enclosure before brining a new cham home.

I'm also going to re-emphasize that you not buy from a big chain store like Petsmart. You run the risk of getting an already sick cham because they're likely being kept in poor conditions and fed a poor diet.

Use the care sheets on this site and make sure you ask lots of questions of the members. We're all here to help :)

Oh my! I am a very new member to the forums, but wanted to interject my opinion on pet store animals. I work(ed) at a chain/corporate store, and let me tell you... 9 out of 10 times, they aren't dusting the food properly with multi vitamins and I can almost guarantee that most don't (or won't) spend the money to replace UVB bulbs, therefore they most likely will be sickly when you get them. I am speaking from experience, because once I did research to take over as a manager at the store, I was appalled. I bought our baby chameleon that we recently acquired (the 4 we had previously had all died in the care of a vet after getting sick at the store) and now, our little guy is on and off again when it comes to his health. I wouldn't trade him for the world, but if I ever get another cham, I will DEFINITELY buy from one of the reputable breeders that some of the awesome people I have met on here would recommend!!

Back
Top Bottom