What to do with 55g tank?!

jamest0o0

Chameleon Enthusiast
Getting a nice deal I couldn't pass up on. Any cool ideas for what to do with it? My number one choice would be a desert bioactive armadillo girdled lizard enclosure, but I think they're next to impossible to find. Maybe a carnivorous plant bog garden. Any thoughts friends?

I will soon have an empty 55 gallon tank, so I have thought about this. I like African claw foot frogs which like to live in groups and eat anything, axylotls which are far more engaging than I ever dreamed, I would like a group of any kind of tree frogs. Good luck. I think actually, I may have found a gorgeous Jack Dempsey fish, and if I find him a mate, we may let them start a family.

Speaking of which... This is what happened after I found a 10 gallon fish tank at a garage sale for $5.
MVIMG_20190426_182202 (1).jpg

Make an invertebrate community bioactive tank. I recommend millipedes, roaches, isopods, jewel beetles, snails, slugs, stick insects etc.

Someone actually ask me if I wanna buy one. But since I have not done much research, I quickly turn him down. I see conflicting light requirements for them.
Yeah I’ve been looking up care because I would really like one eventually but your correct the lighting is something ppl can’t agree on. Since they are mostly nocturnal it’s debited if lights are needed at all but since they are still somewhat new to the keeping Community the captive breed numbers are extremely low. Sorry if I’m getting carried away lol they are just so bad cute!

Tegu in the future as well

Yeah I’ve been looking up care because I would really like one eventually but your correct the lighting is something ppl can’t agree on. Since they are mostly nocturnal it’s debited if lights are needed at all but since they are still somewhat new to the keeping Community the captive breed numbers are extremely low. Sorry if I’m getting carried away lol they are just so bad cute!

Tegu in the future as well

Tegu is too huge a lizard for me. I'm already deciding on the next pet after my hedgehog is gone, a hedgehog has a very short life. My options currently are crocodile skinks, fat tailed gecko and hognose snake.

Tegu is too huge a lizard for me. I'm already deciding on the next pet after my hedgehog is gone, a hedgehog has a very short life. My options currently are crocodile skinks, fat tailed gecko and hognose snake.
I think I’ll have to wait on the tegu. Idk how my in laws will feel about a giant lizard in the house lol they already don’t come over because of the bugs in the house lol

Hedgehogs are so dam cute!!! I chased after one once after to many beers. I named it sonic took a pic and passed out on my floor lol snakes aren’t allowed according to husband or Tarantula :confused:

I think I’ll have to wait on the tegu. Idk how my in laws will feel about a giant lizard in the house lol they already don’t come over because of the bugs in the house lol

Hedgehogs are so dam cute!!! I chased after one once after to many beers. I named it sonic took a pic and passed out on my floor lol snakes aren’t allowed according to husband or Tarantula :confused:

I have an African pygmy hedgehog and 4 tarantulas. Honestly hedgehogs are really cute but also time consuming to take care of. Tarantulas are awesome, lowest maintenance among my pets. I can't have any rodent eating snakes because my family doesn't appreciate frozen dead rats or mice in the freezer lol.

Hedgehogs are illegal here. I do love croc skinks!

A desert bioactive would be super cool too!

My leopard gecko enclosure is a desert bioactive vivarium. Instead of isopods and springtails, I use mealworm beetles.

So I got the tank, it's a fish tank. Due to the thicker glass, would this change what I'm able to keep in it? I'm leaning towards some sort of desert/arid, a carnivorous bog garden, or maybe a croc skink enclosure(though would a 3ft tank be overkill for a pair, they're small?). I've heard croc skinks do fine with some frogs and I think I heard something else... but idk how I feel about that.

So I got the tank, it's a fish tank. Due to the thicker glass, would this change what I'm able to keep in it? I'm leaning towards some sort of desert/arid, a carnivorous bog garden, or maybe a croc skink enclosure(though would a 3ft tank be overkill for a pair, they're small?). I've heard croc skinks do fine with some frogs and I think I heard something else... but idk how I feel about that.

Croc skink can do well in a 3 feet tank. Just provide plenty of substrate for digging and shallow water for swimming.

For an arid setup, get a leopard gecko or fat tailed. I really love the oreo morph of fat tailed gecko, gonna get it one day myself. Or maybe an invertebrate arid setup, go for tiger beetles.

Back
Top Bottom