what mesh to use???????????????????

katy123

hi we're going to build our own viv we know what size and how we're goin to go about it but just wondering if any of you guys new what the best mesh is to use,also whats good to put on the bottom of viv for drainage? thank you for any help, katy x

Any screen of good quality will work but stay aware from the ones made of fabric or nylon as the crickets can chew through them and heat lamps can melt them.

Many people also use plastic coated hardware cloth like this Hardware Cloth

A 60Watt incandescent bulb has not melted it for me in the past but I guess if you placed the bulb right against the cloth it could. Usually a 1-2 inch separation is enough and with the domes I use I get at least 2 inches off the cloth by setting the dome directly on the cage.

I am not currently using this cloth as I have a LLL cage for this cham but in my previous enclosure I used this without issue.

I always use epoxy coated aluminum mesh! It's the best to use for quality and viewing! For drainage I tend to make a completely sealed unit that I 'plant' my plants into! Check out my build guide (I think it's just resurfaced in this forum) for the details!

regular door screen for the at door and atleast 1 or 2 for the sides, depending on the size IMO . and then 1/4'' aluminium for the top, enough space for full penatration of uvb, and melt or heat resistant. i have a 75W sitting right on top of mine and never even gets hot.

I'm sure i read somewhere last night that yo're in the UK (it was very late and I was very tired mind you!). If you are, I get my mesh from www.themeshcompany.com. Its by far the best place that I've found in the UK. Also, I think you said something about how to make an enclosure??? If so, check out my 2 threads that are floating around about my finished and on going build. May give you some help!

I have built many screen cages and it took me a while to find the screen I liked best. I use aluminum on the top, "Pet-Screen" on the sides and door and plexiglass on the bottom for drainage. I get all my supplies form lowes. What do you plan on using for the frame?

Dustin

wood for the frame as my dad is a highly skilled carpenter so he's going to be makeing it for us, we know what we're goin to make we just wernt sure on what mesh to use. thank you for your help, very greatfull for all the help we can get as we want to make sure which every cham we go for has the best life possible. katy x

Back
Top Bottom