what kind of species is he?

chiefpach

So I got this new chameleon and I don't know what kind of species he is. The pet store said he was a voracious chameleon. Can some one help me out? IMAG0143.jpg

Looks like a female verrucosus.

Umm, looks male to me. But, I need to go look at some pics to be certain. To the OP...how long is he measured from snout to vent? Does he turn blue/green from the white mid line down when he's stressed? Females are small and don't show as much coloration underneath.

Not a common species for sure. They are very closely related to panthers and Oustalet's in terms of care. If you search around on the forums about panther chameleon husbandry you'll find most of what you need to know. Verrucosus are shy, so he'll want to be able to hide from view in dense live plants in your cage.

Last edited:
Male Verrucosus if he has spiky "spines" all the way down his back. Female if there are a few spines just behind the head and neck, but the rest of the backbone is smooth. Yours looks to be a male.

They are also called the Spiney Chameleon. And, of course, the voracious chameleon.:) We have several and they do actually eat a great deal more than our panther chameleons do.

When the males "put on their colors" they are very beautiful. The females display beautiful pastel colors along with the dark greens.

Are the eyes closed in the pic or is it just a weird angle? He should have both eyes open at all times during the day. Does he close his eyes during the day? It could be the basking lamp. As you see, pet stores can give some misinformation. Fill out the "how to ask for help" form in the health clinic section of the forums. If there is anything that could use improvement or better your husbandry someone will let you know.:)

It has spike all the way down its back and he is starting to show bluish green around his eyes. But for most of the time his back is brown, mid is wightishbrown and his legs r wightish green

Back
Top Bottom