What is wrong wih my chameleon !! ??

So the vet was completely useless. She told me he has no eye infection , and she wants to give him a deworming shot , a calcium and vitamin a shot but they want like 150 :mad: what would the vitamin a shot do ? And I know I don't need the calcium shot because when I force feed him the roaches are always dusted, what should I get done ??

Oh and Im pretty sure this was a regular vet that my mom found in temeclula even after me trying to convince her that the benefits of seeing the vet in San Diego that you suggested she would not take me so she just found this one and were going in now...... Im pretty sure it's not even a reptile vet as everything in there was a dog and they had dog treats on the counters and the pictures were all of dogs. Well when we went in there first thin she did was ask me if it was a male or female.... And I'm thinking to myself if you specialize in reptiles or so I thought Im pretty sure you could tell he's a male at a single glance. They told me there was no eye infection.... And they checked his mouth to see if he had something wrong with his tounge and that's why he wouldn't eat. Also I showed her the picture that I showed you guys with the eye and roach In his mouth and she said it looked fine in tht picture too.

I thought you were taking him to Dr Boyer?

I thought I was too..... I showed my mom your replies and sent her the address and phone number to him and I asked her to make an appointment.... Je then texted me while i was at school and told me she made an appointment, Then we went to a different vet and after going she told me she didn't want to go to San Diego an looked online for one closer. :mad:

Kudos to Mom for being willing to take him to the vet but too bad she wouldn't go to Dr Boyer.

3 injections seems like a huge number of injections for such a small creature--and the deworming medicine is typically Pancur which can be given orally instead.

I'm not a vet but I'd be interested in another opinion before I had a 4 month old cham get 3 shots.

Did the vet do a fecal float?
If not, then why treat for worms?
Your supplementing and UVB have been good, so you would not expect a calcium deficiency.
Vitamin A deficiency can cause swollen eyelids but AFAIK, it would not cause anything to ooze from an eye--which is what I thought you said has happened.

You can easily treat a vitamin A deficiency at home (as has been mentioned in this thread before) but it is extremely important to not give too much vitamin A.
A very tiny drop of cod liver oil from cod liver oil capsules (the ones sold for people to take) can be put on the back of a feeder that you give to your cham and should correct the problem in one or 2 days.
Switch your multivitamin to Zoo Med's Reptivite without D3 . It contains the type of vitamin A that reptiles can actually use.

If that does not fix the eye problem, then perhaps you can convince your mom to get a second opinion from another vet who is known to be very knowledgeable about reptiles?

You can ask LLL Reptile in Menifee for a vet recommendation, since I couldn't imagine they wouldn't know some good ones.

Unless you can convince your Mom to take the longer drive, then you might need to look over the ARAV vets list and use the search feature to see if there are any reptile knowledgeable vets closer to you.
Here's the ARAV list
http://www.arav.org/find-a-vet/#California

A few more links
https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

Here are a few articles explaining why you need a reptile vet:
http://www.anapsid.org/vets/
http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?A=1431&S=4
http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/vetcare.htm

I would go to a different vet. His eye does seem to be "off". Along with the other information you need to work on your gut loading and not all chams see roaches as food. They dont move very much at all. I would try and see if he will eat crickets on his own.

No on the fecal float, i have no samples to bring in :( And the eye wasent "oozing" persay just had some sort of shed/eye crust ? bought some more crickets around the medium size and I'm going to put him in a feeder bin along with an the crickets and I'll put in let's say 5 and leave him in there for like an hour them come back and see if he ate any, I was thinking about gettin a second opinion but I don't have another 50$ to pay for the visit to the vet, I told ten he wouldn't need the demoting thing because he dosent have parasites , and I was only really interested in the vitamin A shot but I think I'll just do the drop on the feeders back and hope that helps. I just want to thank everyone for everything you guys have done to help me and I really appreciate it !

Maybe your mom could be persuaded to help you out.
Especially if you can locate a reptile knowledgeable vet nearby.

It really sounds like this vet was only covering common health issues, rather than basing treatment on your cham's needs.

Please be very careful with the vitamin A home treatment--it can easily cause permanent kidney/liver damage if overdosed.

If the eye is not better within 2 or 3 days, then it is likely that a new vet will have to be seen in order to save your cham.
Eye infections are often the only visible sign of a deeper infection, which continues to spread without antibiotics.

One feeder that wiggles alot and entices chams to eat is Phoenix worms (calciworms is another brand of the same insect).
They are nutritious and you can gutload them to be even better.
Superworms are much larger and many chams like them--- but they're too fatty and low in calcium to be a main feeder.
As a treat he might go for some--just be sure to use the plain calcium dust on them.

Maybe your mom could be persuaded to help you out.
Especially if you can locate a reptile knowledgeable vet nearby.

It really sounds like this vet was only covering common health issues, rather than basing treatment on your cham's needs.

Please be very careful with the vitamin A home treatment--it can easily cause permanent kidney/liver damage if overdosed.

If the eye is not better within 2 or 3 days, then it is likely that a new vet will have to be seen in order to save your cham.
Eye infections are often the only visible sign of a deeper infection, which continues to spread without antibiotics.

One feeder that wiggles alot and entices chams to eat is Phoenix worms (calciworms is another brand of the same insect).
They are nutritious and you can gutload them to be even better.
Superworms are much larger and many chams like them--- but they're too fatty and low in calcium to be a main feeder.
As a treat he might go for some--just be sure to use the plain calcium dust on them.

His eyes are looking 80% better today I no longer see the substance and there open now but he still will go to the darker areas of the cage and hunkere down not sure if he is asleep or he just hangs out there ? Any reason why he would do that my mom wasn't up to paying for the next vet because she thinks it is a waste of money because the vet we went to said there is nothing wrong with him.... He finally took a big enough poop that could be examined ! Here's a pic his urate is solid white , with a very light yellow tint at the top of it
pjtKTKy.jpg

I wouldn't want you to argue with your mom but if the vet thought that nothing was wrong with him, then why did she want to give him 3 injections for $150?
It's almost certainly cheaper to see a reptile-knowledgeable vet than $150.

Glad his eye looks to be improving.
Is your cham eating on his own now?
Did you check the basking temperature with a working thermometer--since you mentioned that you thought yours is broken?
Have you tried a different light for a couple of days, instead of the 100watt powersun, just to see if it helps?
A yellowish urate indicates that the cham is a bit dehydrated and needs more water.
A dripper might help him drink more. It doesn't need to be store bought. It can be a plastic cup with a tiny pinhole poked in the bottom, dripping onto plant leaves.
Did you take out the substrate?
As mentioned, constant dampness in a substrate often leads to respiratory infections.

Doing as many things as possible to help him is all you can do if mom won't budge on seeing a different vet.

I've still been hand / force feeding him.... But now it's not as much force feeding I just Prut the food close to his mouth then hell open his mouth and bite it, I'm taking the substrate out little at a time because I can't get some sticks to stay in place without the substrate.... He suggested all that because she didn't know exactly what was wrong with him and just wanted to treat whatever could be possible problems , the basking spot is now 89-93 degrees depending on my rooms ambient temp , still using the same bulb and I started doing much longer mistings , and his eyes seem to be way better

We're all hoping he will heal up.
Repeated, gentle flushings of his eyes a couple of times a day with the sterile saline solution can also help to combat infection if it hasn't already progressed too much.

Best of luck with him!
Let us know how he's doing.

Back
Top Bottom