What I did with the Exoterra 36" x 36" x 18" Terrarium

Zygofeet

Fully planted, all real plants, New Zealand tree fern panels for background, (you can get them on Amazon), full eco (no cleaning), homemade feeding dish made from burl, all glass panels.

I've had this setup for about 2 years now, no issues, but I need to go even bigger. Looking very seriously at the large Dragon Strand cage. Has anyone used Dragon Strand?

Attachments

• Richard's cage.jpg
    Richard's cage.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 1,528
  • Richard's cage 1.jpg
    Richard's cage 1.jpg
    477.3 KB · Views: 447
  • Richard on hand.jpg
    Richard on hand.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 413
Your setup looks great! I have pretty much the same thing. 3 years now and still have never had an issue. I’ve heard nothing but great things regarding dragon strand cages.

Fully planted, all real plants, New Zealand tree fern panels for background, (you can get them on Amazon), full eco (no cleaning), homemade feeding dish made from burl, all glass panels.

I've had this setup for about 2 years now, no issues, but I need to go even bigger. Looking very seriously at the large Dragon Strand cage. Has anyone used Dragon Strand?

Dragon Strand is worth every penny. I would highly recommend Bill Strands handmade product and very happy with the ones I have. Next time get some they will be the clear side or breeder style though.

That's a beautiful enclosure! Dragon strand is very good, and if it's the one you're interested in, I'd say go for it!

Whats the name of the real pants you used

Looks awesome! I see you have a mistking...did you also have a drain? If you did not, what is your misting schedule?
That's a great question. I do not have a drain but I was concerned initially about this. I water the plants approximately every two weeks, (about 1 quart), in addition to the MistKing schedule. I have my MistKing come on about 4 times a day in the summer and 6 times in the winter. Twice in the morning for about 30 seconds, then the remaining times 45 seconds each. I don't rely solely on the the misters for the hydration of my chameleon however and I don't have a dripper. (Never had luck with those things). I give him water manually which is about 20% successful. I have about 3 inches of clay rocks on the bottom, fine nylon screen mesh on top of that, and then about 4" of banked soil, (substrate). I bank the soil higher at the back so that the vents in the front of the terrarium are clear. The substrate that you can find at the big box pet stores is perfect. I had a female veiled for the past two years who dug through the substrate, then the nylon screen and kicked up the clay rocks when she laid her eggs but all went well.
So not having a drain seems to be ok. No observed rot but occasional fungus which . It appears that the moisture in equals the moisture out through the absorption of the plants and evaporation. If the water level gets excessive, (only happened once), I can see the accumulation into the clay rock layer through the front glass.
When setting this enclosure up I followed the advice of an assistant professor at a university which I found online. He was very helpful and answered all my questions. He did not have drains in his setup.

Hope this helps,
Dave (Zygofeet)

That's a great question. I do not have a drain but I was concerned initially about this. I water the plants approximately every two weeks, (about 1 quart), in addition to the MistKing schedule. I have my MistKing come on about 4 times a day in the summer and 6 times in the winter. Twice in the morning for about 30 seconds, then the remaining times 45 seconds each. I don't rely solely on the the misters for the hydration of my chameleon however and I don't have a dripper. (Never had luck with those things). I give him water manually which is about 20% successful. I have about 3 inches of clay rocks on the bottom, fine nylon screen mesh on top of that, and then about 4" of banked soil, (substrate). I bank the soil higher at the back so that the vents in the front of the terrarium are clear. The substrate that you can find at the big box pet stores is perfect. I had a female veiled for the past two years who dug through the substrate, then the nylon screen and kicked up the clay rocks when she laid her eggs but all went well.
So not having a drain seems to be ok. No observed rot but occasional fungus which . It appears that the moisture in equals the moisture out through the absorption of the plants and evaporation. If the water level gets excessive, (only happened once), I can see the accumulation into the clay rock layer through the front glass.
When setting this enclosure up I followed the advice of an assistant professor at a university which I found online. He was very helpful and answered all my questions. He did not have drains in his setup.

Hope this helps,
Dave (Zygofeet)

How do you get him to drink...spray bottle? I travel a lot so automation is key. I'd like to go from my dragon strand to one of these. I hate viewing him through screen. I use a fan now, so I'm not worried about fungus or respiratory issue. My panther is a pain to drink so his water is on for almost an hour per day. Trying to figure out how to make this work. Thanks for the tips!

How do you get him to drink...spray bottle? I travel a lot so automation is key. I'd like to go from my dragon strand to one of these. I hate viewing him through screen. I use a fan now, so I'm not worried about fungus or respiratory issue. My panther is a pain to drink so his water is on for almost an hour per day. Trying to figure out how to make this work. Thanks for the tips!

Jenny, yeah drinking is an issue for me. Check out what I posted today and all the VERY informative replies. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hydrating-during-feeding-and-gaping-is-it-ok.166212/

You have him in a screen cage and have a fan on him? Could you clarify for me, please?

Yes, dragon strand with 3 sides solid panels. Only front and top are screen. My humidity was too high all the time with my misting and volume of live plants. Humidity ranges now 60 -85% day down to 30% humidity 2 hours after lights go off. Fan on during day only. Mistking is on for about an hour per day. I keep one of those home digital temp,humid guage to record my 24 hr min,max.

Oh, I wanted to tell you my panther will drink from branches if I spray them. I noticed this when I was watering a plant that the mister avoids. I also have my mister so it leaves a bunch of water drops on the top screen...they will be there well after it shuts off. Its piece of mind for me.

Back
Top Bottom