Hydrating during Feeding and Gaping - Is it OK?

Zygofeet

I had a veiled chameleon for years and I was always able to manually feed her. I would gently drip water on her snout and this was her cue that it was drinking time. She then would lift her head upwards and open her mouth 3-4 times gulping down the water. With my new panther its a different story. The water just beads up on him and he shows no interest in drinking. I do have a Mistking system that is on 5 times a day but I have never seen him drink.

So what I do now is give him water during his feeding. If I watch him eat a cricket, hornworm, or whatever, I will manually dispense water into his mouth when it is open between chews. He doesn't seem to object and he doesn't spit it out. The other thing I do is while I notice him "gaping"....(mouth open), I will add water to his open mouth. He clenches immediately and is startled, but never spits it out.

Do you think this practice is ok?

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
Surprising a Cham with an in unexpected mouth full of water is begging for aspiration.
17A8BBEC-0255-4E43-A718-652AAC4A7915.png

JoshD49

Chameleon Enthusiast
I love the setup! I agree with @Brodybreaux25 in that I would avoid force watering unless there is a medical need. I would be pissed if someone was squirting water in my mouth while I was trying to chew my food. Haha. Just have a talk with your Cham and explain that it is rude to chew with your mouth open.

Neither of my Chams drink while misting and I never really see my Veiled drink at all but he looks healthy. For the Panther he walks around the cage drinking drops that form on the branches.

Brodybreaux25

Chameleon Enthusiast
By the way, I am just blown away by your graphics and the level of detail regarding the mouth of a chameleon. I learned so much! This is the reason why I joined this awesome forum. To help each of us learn more regarding our love of these fascinating animals. Thank you again!
No problem, but I can’t take credit for that, I did not create it. I just took a screen shot from someone on this forum, can’t remember who...

Top Bottom