What effects does high daytime humidity have on a chameleon.

Benclark

So I have a male veiled who is almost an adult. He has an automatic mister that goes off every four hours for two minutes. After a misting, the humidity jumps to almost 70 then after ten minutes it drops to 50 and a half-hour after it goes down to 45-50% where it stays until the next misting. I am wondering what impact these humidity levels have on my guy, and if I should cut back on misting. I can post a husbandry form if need be.

Hi, I'm new the forums but from what I've learned spikes in humidity throughout the day are perfectly normal. Humidity levels can greatly affect the health of a chameleon if they are too high so just make sure the humidity levels are appropriate for your species. Once again, I'm new so I'd wait for a second opinion on this, but from what I've heard this schedule seems just fine.

Hi, I'm new the forums but from what I've learned spikes in humidity throughout the day are perfectly normal. Humidity levels can greatly affect the health of a chameleon if they are too high so just make sure the humidity levels are appropriate for your species. Once again, I'm new so I'd wait for a second opinion on this, but from what I've heard this schedule seems just fine.
Much appreciated! I heard the same thing but I just wanted to make sure.

Those are fine. Humidity is more of a problem when it comes due to poor ventilation rather than the humidity itself. This is why chameleons live fine outdoors in places like forida(or anywhere on the east side of the country during summer).
Thanks so much! I'm happy to hear I'm not harming him with poor humidity conditions.

Those are fine. Humidity is more of a problem when it comes due to poor ventilation rather than the humidity itself. This is why chameleons live fine outdoors in places like forida(or anywhere on the east side of the country during summer).
yeah constant high humidity + poor ventilation + heat is what most often leads to RI

So as long as your cage is drying out between misting I think you're good

Yup agreed with them. Of course we don't want insanely high humidity if we can help it, but your levels seem fine. I look at it as, your house shouldn't be so humid that it bothers your chameleon. In that case, you'd have mold and water damage as well.

Back
Top Bottom