What do you think of these colors???

Johnny84

My female is Gravid...she has been showing the gravid colors for 3 weeks now! But the last few days she has sported these colors...not all day though! Once a day so far! Mostly at night!! Does this mean anything???:cool:

Looks like she has been over fed/supplemented and is full of eggs. Hopefully she lays them all fine for you. How much do you feed her?

We feed her every other day...but she quit eating for about a week so we fed her a lil daily...but after today we are going back to the every other day feeding! With Calcium on every feeding and calcium w/D3 and Herptivite twice a month!

Does she have a suitable place to dig in her cage to show you when she's ready to lay the eggs?

She does but her cage is too small at the moment..we got her from a previous owner that didnt take care of her so Im in the process of upgrading her to a larger cage!! Also we have tried to put her (without being disturbed) in a 10 gallon bucket with a 50/50 blend of eco earth and supersoil!!

Well I was going to also say that she may be over supplemented and that was causing the swollen looking kneck. I would only feed her 4x's a week with only about 3-5 feeders each of those four days. You'll only have to dust with calcium for 3 days and you'll still stick to the 2x's a month for the d3 and multivitamins.

Well I was going to also say that she may be over supplemented and that was causing the swollen looking kneck. I would only feed her 4x's a week with only about 3-5 feeders each of those four days. You'll only have to dust with calcium for 3 days and you'll still stick to the 2x's a month for the d3 and multivitamins.

So I'm sorry if I am stepping on any toes but I ahve a question?! Arent you supposed to give a female (especially if they are gravid) extra calcium? I could be wrong so thats why I am asking! Like instead of dusting everyother day with the plain calcium, I thought I read somewhere that you should dust every feeding?!

Do you have a scale to check her weight. A gram scale can help you determine when its time for a laying bin along with her colors.I got mine at beer brewing shop. its digital, the right size for chams and only 25.00.postal scales work too.

So I'm sorry if I am stepping on any toes but I ahve a question?! Arent you supposed to give a female (especially if they are gravid) extra calcium? I could be wrong so thats why I am asking! Like instead of dusting everyother day with the plain calcium, I thought I read somewhere that you should dust every feeding?!

You can either give your female drops of liquid calcium all the way up until she lays or you can dust a little heavier with the powder calcium. She will still need the multivitamins and d3 though. If your question is if you should feed a gravid female every day so she can get more calcium then my answer is no I wouldn't. She shouldn't eat every day. An over fed gravid female will most likely lay more eggs which will be harder on her. You also want to give your female extra calcium for up to 3 days after she lays.

Ive seen the swelling on females that werent getting over supplemented at all. So just keep an eye and try to work her diet a little different maybe .I try to keep her protein down, but I dont know your exact situation so could be very different.

You can either give your female drops of liquid calcium all the way up until she lays or you can dust a little heavier with the powder calcium. She will still need the multivitamins and d3 though. If your question is if you should feed a gravid female every day so she can get more calcium then my answer is no I wouldn't. She shouldn't eat every day. An over fed gravid female will most likely lay more eggs which will be harder on her. You also want to give your female extra calcium for up to 3 days after she lays.

iv read the blogs on raiseing kitty and she says that once their gravid the # of eggs is set. so if you feed her a little more before and after eggs than it would be ok and just keep her stronger. please correct me if im wrong because my female hasnt ever layed and i like to know all the facts.

Back
Top Bottom