What do i feed my hornworms?

ZEROPILOT

Avid Member
My Hornworms run out of food way before I'm able to feed them to my chams.(the food that comes in those cups)
Am I correct that they eat pepper and tomato leaves?
Is there something else easier?

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

These fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with dry gutload mixes or home made mixes for optimal well-rounded nutrition. Dry ingredients can include: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds.

Best - These gutloading ingredients are best because they are highest in calcium, low in phosphorus, oxalates and goitrogens. They should be the primary components of your gutload: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa.

Good - These gutloading ingredients are good because they are moderately high in calcium and other vitamins/minerals. They should be used in addition to those from the previous category: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans.

These fresh fruits and vegetables can be combined with dry gutload mixes or home made mixes for optimal well-rounded nutrition. Dry ingredients can include: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds.
This is not correct for Hornworms or silkworms... They have an entirely different diet.

My Hornworms run out of food way before I'm able to feed them to my chams.(the food that comes in those cups)
Am I correct that they eat pepper and tomato leaves?
Is there something else easier?
In a pinch you can give them carrots but this will not be suitable if you have many to feed and they do not survive well on this. You need to get hornworm chow. DO NOT FEED tomato leaves. This will be toxic to your cham.

If I have to, I can just give my chams 3 or 4 each again tomorrow and get rid of them.
I have tried to make it a once a week or longer treat.

As others have mentioned, sometimes you can get them to eat collards; bell peppers and romaine are also sometimes eaten, but sometimes the hornworms just ignore them. Everything they'll eat in the wild is toxic and may poison your Cham; that includes tomato/potato/pepper leaves, though tomatoes and peppers (the fruits) should be safe. If you wanna go all out, though, this is a recipe that hornworms will usually eat, and is not toxic. I don't remember where I got the original, but you can find it on the internet. Adding a pureed bell pepper seems to make it more palatable, and both methylparaben powder or calcium proprionate help inhibit mold growth.
Hornworm food recipe
1 cup (100 g) of non-toasted wheat germ (Bobs Red Mill, Milwaukie, OR)
1/3 cup (25 g) of nonfat dry milk (Sanalac, Fullerton, CA)
4 tablespoons of agar (generic)
1 teaspoon pure raw linseed oil (nonboiled, Sunnyside Corp., Wheeling IL)
1/2 tablespoon nutritional flake yeast (generic)
1 vitamin C tablet (1000 mg) (generic)
2 vitamin B tablets (generic)
2 multivitamin tablets (generic)
1 tablespoon of table sugar (generic)
2 1/2 cups water

1. Place vitamin tablets in blender and reduce to a powder. To this powder, add the wheat germ, powdered milk, and sugar and blend until the dry components are well-mixed.
2. Remove the dry mix from the blender and add 2.5 cups of boiling water. While mixing at low speed, add the agar. Be careful to replace the lid on the blender before turning it on. Blend for one minute and then add the dry mix and continue to mix.
3. Add the linseed oil and increase blender speed. You may need to manually blend the diet while the blender is running. The diet gets rather viscous at this point.
4. After blending for about 5 minutes, add the nutritional yeast flakes and continue blending for another minute. Components in the yeast are heat labile, thus, yeast is added as late as possible.

Back
Top Bottom