What a Difference! - Humidity

PascalsWager

Pascal has outgrown his little baby cage that was glass with the screen top. I misted him 4-5 times a day to keep the humidity up and it would dry out completely in between mistings.

I moved him into a much larger all-screen cage and I was concerned that I'd have trouble keeping the humidity up, but the humidity stays high with just a couple mistings. Even while we're in the middle of a record heat spell!

Now if I can just find a happly medium on the Little Dripper. It's either totally closed off or a constant piddle. :mad:

lol, I know, I was constantly fiddling with the dripper!! Right now, I actually put using the dripper at a pause and am using just the Monsoon mister. It's on for 2 minutes every two hours and my girl is well hydrated (no sunken eyes, great skin and perfect urate) also it keeps the dry Cali humidity up. She also doesn't like the dripper hose but I keep it there for her to eventually not care about because I have a strong feeling that when she is full grown, she will be thirsty more often. I've found myself just wasting water when using the dripper, she just doesn't go near the darn thing unless she wants to hang on it if water isn't coming out of it! Such a little weirdo. Her favorite spot to drink from is from the area under the mister spout that I placed on top of the cage so that the water will accumulate on the wire fabric and drip down.... atleast it drips nicely and I'm not fighting with it :)

This is great news! Are you using any specific plants/moss to help with the humidity?

I have a prayer plant and a pothos growing in there, but they're not very big yet. The dripper drips down a vine and eventually into a flower pot. I alternate the pots from dripper to under the basking lamp. So far it's working okay.

Gumball, I like your name. :) I think for the price of the drippers, they could put a little better valve on those things?

Our house is humid to start with. We're just a humid state. But his old enclosure was wanting to hang around 40-50% and now it's hitting 80 before I even mist. I can mist and let it fall on him and he'll lick his lips to drink, and I've seen him drinking the drops from the dripper. I've got it down to a slow drip now. The PVC bottom of his enclosure is covered in paper towels, and they're damp, but nothing has gotten wet enough to drip out.

Still in the Beta testing mode to see what to do for drainage or if it's going to be a problem.

Pascal ate his first flies today. Silly me wasn't sure if he'd be able to catch them in the big enclosure... they lasted maybe 30 seconds. He's cleaning up 12-15 crickets, tiny mealworms that were given to me by the local pet supply. (A 500 cup, didn't want to waste them.) He's eating 3 or 4 wax worms a couple times a week, too.

I think we're on the right track, though. The crickets eat way better than I do with a huge assortment of stuff that's good for Pascal. I've set up a breeding colony to see if I can save a little money there at least until he slows down a little on the appetite. It's like trying to feed Godzilla.

Back
Top Bottom