Wet Silkworm Chow

Wowbango

Established Member
I recently purchased the powdered Silkworm chow mix from coastalsilkworms, which you "cook" at home. It was a .5 lb bag that makes 2 lbs of wet chow. The problem I am having is, it seems to be too wet, and mushes up in my hand when I try and grate it. Any tips on how to dry it up without it crusting up? I followed the instructions perfectly so I'm not sure where I went wrong! I thought about leaving it out in the sun for a bit so I took a piece and tried it, and it just melts it...ack! Messy Silky food!

I just crumble it in my fingers and try to get lots of edges on the crumbes so there is more surface area. When I have really little worms, I spread the hot food between two sheets of wax paper and press it into thin sheets. The waxed paper keeps it moist.

I've never found it could be grated.

Sometimes I cook it in a rectangle pyrex dish, so when it cools I take it out like a big brick of green cream cheese. :) I wrap the whole thing in plastic wrap, and take thin slices off when I need them.
If I cook it in one of my glass bowls, I just scrape some off with a butter knife, in thin layers. I've never grated it either. If it's super soft, you can even put it in a zip lock baggie, cut off a teeny corner, and squeeze it out like toothpaste. It can't be a cheap thin baggie, though, or they burst.

When I've purchased it already made from coasta silkworms, it's easily grated, it's firm enough. But I'm thinking when I made it, it just had too much water. I'll try and just spread it on the netting and see how that works. Thanks for the tips guys.

I don't add as much water as it calls for. I just add a little at the time and stop before it gets mushy.

Last edited:
If you are using a microwave, add 1 minute to the last cooking session, if it is still too soft, add another.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Back
Top Bottom