Wet enclosure floor

VincentU

Hello. I’m curious about the dangers of pooling at the bottom of the cage. The water from misting and the dripper cause about a half gallon to a gallon of pooled water by the end of the day. I have to drain his enclosure right before lights out. Each night I get at least a half gallon. The enclosure flood never ever gets a chance to dry out and I’m wondering if this can have health issues?

Now Milo has had his one eye closed for some time. It works, he can see and he does open it when he needs to. Because of this I have increased misting from 3 min 3 times to 5 minutes of misting 3 times a day. He does not seem to ever drink. I added a dripper to help but I still never see him drink. So all the added hydration leaves me having to sump his drip tray every night. It’s a huge pain and like I said it never fully dries out. I’m not looking to address the eye issue again just the water accumulation issue. How do I keep his hydration up and enclosure drier? Thanks folks.

Awesome. I’ll see what I can make or come up with. His cage sits on a wooden table that I can’t modify or the wifey will kill me and Milo lol. Thanks again

The table is spent already, either cut a hole in it or buy a table at a tag sale and cut a hole in it. The water just sitting there will cause mold etc. and will be good for no one.

The table is spent already, either cut a hole in it or buy a table at a tag sale and cut a hole in it. The water just sitting there will cause mold etc. and will be good for no one.
Mold is not good...

Right that’s good food for thought. I’ll definately see about modifying the stand situation and post back to the forum. Thank you all again.

Oh and just for knowledge what health isssues are related to pooling water?

I think if its a open air screen cage, your good. If its glass it can certainly get your chame sick. She/He can get a respiratory infection (RI). This is caused by a improper cage setup.

I had a feeling upper respiratory infection would be the issue. My Cham never ever leaves the canopy he stays up top all the time. Idk how normal this is but i don’t mess with him. He hates sundays though cuz I clean his cage and I never get things setup the same. So the little guy is stressed all Sunday and even into Monday. I feel so bad too, how much stress is to much stress?

With or without screen, your Cham can still get a respiratory infection. One issue is drowning, and if your Cham is healthy and falls, he or she probably won't drown, but you still have to be careful.

I had a feeling upper respiratory infection would be the issue. My Cham never ever leaves the canopy he stays up top all the time. Idk how normal this is but i don’t mess with him. He hates sundays though cuz I clean his cage and I never get things setup the same. So the little guy is stressed all Sunday and even into Monday. I feel so bad too, how much stress is to much stress?
It depends. If his eyes begin to sink, and he or she is gaping, hissing, or more, than you should back off and let him or her calm down. I wouldn't constantly rearrange things.

Back
Top Bottom