Weird Color Scheme

jdog1027

Established Member
I've had 100's of Veileds since 1997. I bred them non-stop from '97 to about 2000. Just getting back into it. I got this little female back in April, and of all the Veileds I've had or hatched, I've never seen one colored like this. Is it just me or is she weird looking?...

245.jpg

241.jpg

250.jpg

Yeah!!! I agree. The guy I bought her from said she was about 3 months old when I got her, so that'd make her about 7 months right now. She's been 'swole' for about 6 weeks now. I offered her a bucket of sand almost a month ago but she never even stepped foot in it. I didn't figure she would; I've enever had a female drop duds until she was at least 12 or 14 months old. I'm stumped.

Well to me she looks gravid,
the buldge behind her back leg in the second pic looks to me to be an out line of eggs.

I have NO CLUE at all on how you keep your chams, so dont think Im accusing you of anything :D
but over feeding and over heating can lead to early eggs, as early as 4-5months old.

Temps should be at 80F for her no more
and she should be fed every other day and not alot and not unhealthy food.

She needs to go on a diet if she isnt gravid...

If I were you, id keep that bin in there and put a sheet over the cage so that she can have some privacy.

Is it the way she is standing in the pictures or is her backbone crooked?

Her shape seems abnormal to me.

Yeah-She has a kinked back. Like I said before, I'm just getting back into chameleons after what has been about a 10 year break. I have a 6 year old son now, and this past April he saw the series on Discovery channel called Life. He saw the slow motion hi-def shot of the Panther chameleon nailing the Praying mantis and he flipped out. I took him to our 'local' reptile show about 3 weeks later and a vendor talked me into her at a discount because of the kinked spine. I KNOW it was a stupid thing to do, but she is pretty much my son's pet now. She also seems to have somewhat stunted growth.

she is a cute little fattie :D
sucks about her back :(
hopefully it doesnt affect her to much!

I wonder if her back is painful... Is it a birth defect or an injury? Perhaps her insides are malformed as well if it's a birth defect causing her to look lumpy and round. (I wonder if that is also painful?)

Blah. If I had hatched this one out, I would have culled it. Quality of life thing. JMO.

If your son loves her, with her kinked back, she most likely has the best life she would ever get. good job

Yeah- She's well cared for. Thanks.

I wonder if her back is painful... Is it a birth defect or an injury? Perhaps her insides are malformed as well if it's a birth defect causing her to look lumpy and round. (I wonder if that is also painful?)

Blah. If I had hatched this one out, I would have culled it. Quality of life thing. JMO.

Yeah it was a birth defect. Like I mentioned, shes also what appears to be a midget. I never considered the possibility of internal deformity as well. The main thing about her to me is her COLOR. She's not exhibiting the 2 or 3 burnt orange markings on her sides (I call them 'glyphs') or the placid/gravid colors. She just has that weird 'camouflage' thing going on. It varies in intensity. I couldn't get a picture of her in its most extreme state.

Generally, I've found that veileds (when not mature[which makes sense if she's a midget and deformed]) only show those color patterns when stressed out. That sort of indicates being uncomfortable to me, especially if she only ever shows those colors. Perhaps she is always in pain? Perhaps you should consult with a vet or people with more experience than me....

Also, just thought I would say that my boyfriends female panther (who is also a 'midget') has never shown receptive colors or gravid colors, or even typical female colors (she's completely orange) even though she has been kept with higher basking temperatures (85-90) and is free fed and allowed whatever she wants.

Generally, I've found that veileds (when not mature[which makes sense if she's a midget and deformed]) only show those color patterns when stressed out. That sort of indicates being uncomfortable to me, especially if she only ever shows those colors. Perhaps she is always in pain? Perhaps you should consult with a vet or people with more experience than me....

Also, just thought I would say that my boyfriends female panther (who is also a 'midget') has never shown receptive colors or gravid colors, or even typical female colors (she's completely orange) even though she has been kept with higher basking temperatures (85-90) and is free fed and allowed whatever she wants.

Interesting- I don't think that I will try to breed her because of her condition(s).

I wouldn't suggest breeding her at all. You don't know what her insides are like and it, IMO, would be more likely to harm her than not. Again, just my opinion.

Yeah-She has a kinked back. Like I said before, I'm just getting back into chameleons after what has been about a 10 year break. I have a 6 year old son now, and this past April he saw the series on Discovery channel called Life. He saw the slow motion hi-def shot of the Panther chameleon nailing the Praying mantis and he flipped out. I took him to our 'local' reptile show about 3 weeks later and a vendor talked me into her at a discount because of the kinked spine. I KNOW it was a stupid thing to do, but she is pretty much my son's pet now. She also seems to have somewhat stunted growth.

If she is eating and drinking normal and your son loves her I don't feel its stupid. Somebody has to give her a loving home ;)

I know a guy who had a panther with a kinked back that was similar. He acted like any other panther just not as agile when climbing. He seemed happy the 5 years he was around.

Back
Top Bottom