Weather affect

zordtaz

Is any of your Cham get effect on the weather like mine? I live in Chicago. There are cloudy and cold days lately for 3-4 days. I would said around 55-66F. My Cham use to be active for all day. But since it is cloudy and no sunlight come out lately. He has been lethargic lately. He move but not much. Most likely he stay at the basking spot all day after he get his food. Or he move when I am near by to clean his cage. By the way, I clean his cage everyday to get excess water on his floor. His appetite is still the same. I also just went to check his fecal yesterday and there is no sign of parasite. I have my Cham indoor all the time. His cage is next to windows. Can weather outside is really make this effect?

In case you need more info

Chameleon Info:
* Your Chameleon - Jackson Chameleon around 6-7 months
* Handling - Twice a week
* Feeding - Cricket, silkworms, phenix worm. He is free range. I put 20 small to medium crickets a day. I am not sure how much he ate. At least 1 silkworm a day. This I saw him eat
* Supplements - Repti calcium without d
* Watering - moonson mister. Run 5 times a day with 10, 10, 2, 4, 4 mins mist. I also spray with warm water in the morning after the light on for 5 minutes. I also create drain system in the cage. I drill the pvc underneath so exceed water drop to the bucket. There are some standing water after light off but not much.
* Fecal Description - It looks normal. Have white color on the tip and black on the other part. Have some orange dot in the white part. He poo every other day. Just sometime he poo everyday. I just have vet check on his poo yesterday. No parasite
* History - he is with me 2 months. His weight is from 10 g to 21 g. Last weight is yesterday.

Cage Info:
* Cage Type - Screen cage. 16 x 16 x 30
* Lighting - linear uvb and aluminum dome for basking
* Temperature - Basking spot is around 75 and night temp is around 68-72. Should be 65 in next 2 weeks since it is getting cold here. Ambient temp is 70.
* Humidity - Humidity in the basking spot is around 58-65 unless I mist him in the morning, it will go up to 75-80. The rest of the cage is 75-80. I also have cool mist humidifier with humility controller run on the cold side of cage.
* Plants - I have one big pothos and 2 small pothos. One fake plant at the corner
* Placement - We have small sun room in the back less traffic and can see some light though windows
* Location - Where are you geographically located? Chicago, IL

I try to take him out to get sunlight if I can.

I have a question how do u get a monsoon to run for 10 mins you just take it off cycle mode and push the on button and time it yourself then turn it off? Just wondering cuz that's wat I have but 2 mins. Is its longest setting :(

I have a question how do u get a monsoon to run for 10 mins you just take it off cycle mode and push the on button and time it yourself then turn it off? Just wondering cuz that's wat I have but 2 mins. Is its longest setting :(

I bought this timer and set it up on 2 mins on and off with 1 mins stop. You can set up to 20 program and it can set it as minutes

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IQUMJ72/ref=ya_aw_od_pi?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also find another one that can set in second too but only 8-10 programs allowance

I've had two Jackson boys and they can sense barometric pressures associated with low pressure weather systems. Mine used to hide for a few days in bad weather and that's what I was told!

Sounds like he is cold, especially if he is sitting under his basking light all day. 75 is cold for a basking temp, even for a Jackson. If you read the care sheets, the basking should be in the mid 80's. I would get a stronger bulb and bump the temp up about 10 degrees. I don't keep Jackson's, but I know my Panthers will be less active when I bring them indoors in the AC and put them in their cages versus outside where it is warmer(I live in Florida). I would be thinking about getting a larger cage also. The size you are using is pretty small.

Oops, forget this post! Wrong thread! Not the above post, this one. I had to delete something!

Now I can see the whole post I agree with Carol5208 - basking should be around 85 for a sub adult. Different plants with smaller leaves may help to retain humidity - also covering one side and the back of the cage with plastic sheeting will help and airflow will still be good.

I did switch the light bulbs to 75w other day. And it mark basking temp to 82. I saw that he have less movement that the previous one and open his mouth more too. Any advise?

Holding his mouth open (gaping) is how they regulate their body temperature. Does your thermometer take a reading from the basking spot?

Yes. I have one digital and regular gauge at the same spot. I also have humidity controller in the middle of the cage. It is automatic work once the humid lower than 65%

Back
Top Bottom