We need your help...sick chameleon

mybugsy

I have had my first Chameleon for a few months now. He was doing very well until a few days ago. I had him on a diet of butter worms, wax worms and meal worms along with occasional vegtable and baby food. He is in a converted 35 gal hexagon fish tank with vines and plants and reptile soil. He is now just laying on the ground of the tank with a small bleeding wounds by the top of one of his legs and a non bleeding cut on his stomach. We asked the pet store what to do and they told us to use a product "jump start" for nutrition and we are providing water from a medicine dropper. He is very weak, does not move, barely takes the food and water and just lies on the bottom of the tank on his side.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or what we can do? Please help !!!

First off, Welcome to the forums, hopefully we can provide the answers and help you need, To better assist you please fill out this brief form.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

I have had my first Chameleon for a few months now. He was doing very well until a few days ago. I had him on a diet of butter worms, wax worms and meal worms along with occasional vegtable and baby food. He is in a converted 35 gal hexagon fish tank with vines and plants and reptile soil. He is now just laying on the ground of the tank with a small bleeding wounds by the top of one of his legs and a non bleeding cut on his stomach. We asked the pet store what to do and they told us to use a product "jump start" for nutrition and we are providing water from a medicine dropper. He is very weak, does not move, barely takes the food and water and just lies on the bottom of the tank on his side.

Any ideas on what could be wrong or what we can do? Please help !!!

Please Include picture of enclosure and chameleon

if the chameleon is laying on his side..turn the lights off and let him go in peace. DONT force fluids or food as he will probably aspirate and make for a worst passing.

pictures and other info

THANKS FOR THE QUICK REPLIES! YTo answer some of the questions:

Attached are two pictures: one of the chameleon and the other of his habitat. To answer some of the other questions:

The chameleon is a veiled chameleon and we think he is a few months old.

Handling: once or twice a week

Feeding: evry other day either butter, wax or meal worms (4 to 5 worms)

Supplements: none before the jump start

watering: leaf spray daily

Fecal: white in color, solid

History: none beyond what we shared

cage: 35 gallon converted hexagon fish tank glass with screen lid. 75watt white light during day and red light at night

Temp: high 70s to low 80s

humidity: 70-90% on average

Plants: live plants, 3 different species (unsure of exact species) and driftwood

Placement: corner near no vents. low traffic, 4 foot from floor to top of cage

Geography: we live in NJ

Attachments

• IMG_5995.jpg
    IMG_5995.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_5994.jpg
    IMG_5994.jpg
    239.7 KB · Views: 266
more info

The soil was purchased from Petco and was made specifically for reptiles. The plants were house plants...I believe the species are: Zamioculcas zamiifolia and croton.

We followed the instructions we were given when we bought him. We hope to have the chance to follow your advice butr we need to get him well first. Any ideas on what to do to help him get better?

I am sorry my friend, your chameleon is well beyond the at home help stage. The husbandry was off to a large extent, and your chameleon is most likely suffering from many variables, such as possible RI, MBD, and abrasions that are most likely well on the way to becoming infected. I would say a immediate vet trip is the only option, but at the current condition your little man is in, he would not make it. I apologize in advance for your loss and agree that you should turn off the lights and let him go in peace. Please read up on husbandry, and in the future try again.
Once again sorry :(

To Add, or more so explain my diagnoses. : Chameleons are masters when its comes to disguising any signs of illness, usually by the time you see symptoms they are already extremely sick, and of course sometimes you can catch it and get vet assistance to better the chances of survival. 1st stage is change in daily routines and eating habits, 2nd stage you can now visually see a decrease in the health of the chameleon, 3rd stage usually indicates that your chameleon is in serious need of extreme medical care or is on its way out.

Your chameleon is clearly showing signs of stage 3, and i truly am sorry.

Last edited:
Karma - yelling at people for things they did not know is not helping anyone here. The only thing you accomplish with that is making a hostile environment so people want to leave. At the very least you will just make the defensive and they will ignore any good advice they may get because of the hostile environment. I would log off and be gone because of your comments if it were me as the OP right now. We all started off with mistakes that we learned from, you included. I doubt you would have appreciated someone telling you all the things you did wrong and repeatedly chastising you for doing so. Offer constructive criticism, not just criticism.

Mybugsy - I am sorry but your chameleon is in very, very bad shape and I don't know that there is anything you can do for him at this point. I'm not sure what would have caused him to have bloody spots like that, but he is on the brink of death unfortunately. It is very unlikely he will recover. I'm sorry. :(

Unfortunately there is a lot of bad information circulating about chameleons and it is hard to find good sources of info for proper care on these guys. Petstores are notorious for being completely wrong in their recommendations, and in a young, growing reptile this can be catastrophic. If you would like accurate info on their care we will be happy to get you on the right track. If this little guy doesn't pass soon you should get a UVB light for him asap.

Last edited:
I am not yelling, I'm stating, stop assuming as that is really getting annoying for people to take text in caps that is only emphasising things for the care, and reading it as yelling.

If it keeps happening then do something different, like bolding. It is universally understood that caps is like yelling. You are not helping the OP and you are just being mean at this point by making them feel guilty I'm sure. You know as well as I do how much misinformation there is on these guys and how easy it is to get mislead. Have some sympathy for this person for petes sake. It's not like they don't care about the little guy, they obviously do or they wouldn't be here.

If it keeps happening then do something different, like bolding. It is universally understood that caps is like yelling. You are not helping the OP and you are just being mean at this point by making them feel guilty I'm sure. You know as well as I do how much misinformation there is on these guys and how easy it is to get mislead. Have some sympathy for this person for petes sake. It's not like they don't care about the little guy, thy obviously do.

I do have sympathy. It's not the "universal understanding" that caps is yelling, it's emphasis. Just because you choose to read is as yelling doesn't mean that's the way it is, try reading in a calm voice and it makes sense. I'm not really being mean in any way, I am just stating the proper care, that isn't mean. At all. It's not his fault in any way that PetCo gave him bad info, he did a good job by coming onto the forum to ask for help.

:( Another dead / dying Chameleon to chalk up to pet stores giving terrible care info. We know that chams are unusual to care for even for lizards, but the pets shops don't tell anyone....... It's just sad to see them get away with it and get really nice people at crossed wires........
Nobody blamed the op, and there are plenty of caps for emphasis from others too, not just Karma.......yet somehow she does often come across as more than a little blunt, eh? I know you being helpful, maybe just try and be extra friendly because you know it's so easy to misread things online.......
To Adam, if you want to try again with a new Chameleon, have a good read of this caresheet which gives all the basic care info you need to keep a Veiled healthy - https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

Last edited:
So sorry about your chameleon. I agree with the others and he probably is not going to make it or perhaps has passed already. sorry that you were misinformed, but if you do decide to get another we are here to help and guide you. We all love chameleons and that is why we are members of this forum. Good luck to you!

Adam...don't give up on this forum and if you love chameleons enough to continue with them, you can learn a lot here so that you will be able to keep them successfully.

thanks for the help

Thanks for all of the help and advice. The little guy is still hangng in there and we will try everything we can to help him although we are expecting the worse. We thought we were getting good advice from workers in the store that have raised reptiles for a long time...I guess it shows that not everyone knows everything. Thanks again!

I am really routing or your little guy, I so hope things turn around for him, please keep us posted on how he's doing and as already stated there is a lot of great information here.

What are you doing for him?
Can you place him so he gets some UVB and stay warm without overheating?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom