We need a little more starting info

Valiant

Hey everyone,
We're brand new to this forum, and brand new to chameleons. We brought home our little gaffer- a male veiled, just 8 weeks old- just yesterday afternoon. We've done our homework, I think, but I've got a few questions I need some specifics on. My wife and I are determined to do everything we can to give the little guy everything he needs to be happy, and Any help would be appreciated, especially on these few practical details.

1) We're misting the leaves in the cage 2-3 times a day as directed, but... How Long is long enough for a misting?

2) I've noticed some prejudice against compact UVB bulbs and would like to know why, please?

3) His enclosure has a nice punched mesh top to it... can I put the UVA light on top of that so it's shining through the mesh, or should it be installed so it's shining right in the cage?

4) I'm getting lots of different opinion about feeding times and frequencies. Exactly how many little crickets? How many times a day?

5) he's a very social and curious and friendly seeming baby already (though we're leaving him be, against temptation, to give him time to acclimatize). Are their little personalities consistent from babyhood to adulthood? Is a friendly baby a friendly adult?

We've got the basics down pat I think but it's just the stuff listed above that's more about the day-to-day particulars that we're trying to get right. Seems the more newbie mistakes we can avoid the better he'll be in the long run, so your help would be amazing

Welcome to the forums! You will find all kinds of great info here!
Hey everyone,
We're brand new to this forum, and brand new to chameleons. We brought home our little gaffer- a male veiled, just 8 weeks old- just yesterday afternoon. We've done our homework, I think, but I've got a few questions I need some specifics on. My wife and I are determined to do everything we can to give the little guy everything he needs to be happy, and Any help would be appreciated, especially on these few practical details.

1) We're misting the leaves in the cage 2-3 times a day as directed, but... How Long is long enough for a misting? A few minutes at a time should be good-like 3-5. Veileds can be closet drinkers.
2) I've noticed some prejudice against compact UVB bulbs and would like to know why, please? They are proven to cause eye issues in chams.

3) His enclosure has a nice punched mesh top to it... can I put the UVA light on top of that so it's shining through the mesh, or should it be installed so it's shining right in the cage? What type of enclosure are we talking about here? I am thinking you have a glass enclosure, and yes you can put the light on top shining through the mesh but PLEASE monitor your temps carefully with a digital accurate thermometer. It is easy to cook babies.

4) I'm getting lots of different opinion about feeding times and frequencies. Exactly how many little crickets? How many times a day? 1-2 times daily, 2 months old can down 15 1/4" crix daily.
5) he's a very social and curious and friendly seeming baby already (though we're leaving him be, against temptation, to give him time to acclimatize). Are their little personalities consistent from babyhood to adulthood? Is a friendly baby a friendly adult? There is no way to tell adult temperament at this point. The majority of Veileds are territorial and aggressive, but I and several people here on the forum own relatively mild tempered male Veileds.We've got the basics down pat I think but it's just the stuff listed above that's more about the day-to-day particulars that we're trying to get right. Seems the more newbie mistakes we can avoid the better he'll be in the long run, so your help would be amazing

Have you learned about supplementing yet?
Also remember that you cute small baby will be very large in only a few months. An ideal cage size for a male Veiled adult is 24X24X48!

Welcome

Welcome...I too recently joined this forum and recently adopted a two month or less old male, veiled chameleon. I would recommend Julirs' information and her website link to a great care sheet. I have been reading up on chams there. Also I would be interested in knowing and exchanging progress one each of our veileds.

Mine get 30-45 minutes a day of fine hot water mist. I free range crickets. I put them all in at once...they graze all day. With babies i let them eat as much as they want. Get the biggest food yours can handle...unfortunately the younger the crickets the more easily they die. So if hes big enough to handle 1/4 inch then do it.

Thanks for the help and links.
Like I said, it's a lot of these little technical details that I can't find specifics on... so thanks for the good answers.
re. his temperament... his daddy is a gorgeous and extremely friendly 3-4 year old, so hopefully he's inherited a bit of the old man's good nature!
I've got a compact flourescent right now but I guess I'll move up to a long bulb soon.
re. "cooking" babies... eep! where/how do I set up the thermometer? I've read of course that it's a good idea to have one, but I don't really get where I'm supposed to put it. We love the little guy already and I don't want him roasted.

Back
Top Bottom