We, as humans can do this to an animal???

This topic has created some debate I see.

In regards to euthanizing, this is a choice I find very difficult to do. My vet is away for a few more days, so in the meantime I am doing all I can for this guy and not considering the option. There is always 2 drastic opinions when this topic arises:
1 - NO! Don't do it, more along a moral thinking as it is a living creature.
2 - Yes, if needed for the animal's best interest.

Will he pull through? I sure hope so. It really does boil down to "quality of life", that is where human emotion needs to be put aside and the animal's best interests taken into consideration.

Right now, he lays on the bottom, to weak to grasp onto anything. A reaction I feel is typical considering he is not eating & the MBD taking it's toll.
Until, I am told otherwise by the vet, I will provide him bug juice with liquid calcium via syringe, keep him as hydrated as possible, and attempt to keep him as comfortable as possible.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, experiences & suggestions. I'll update on his progress & advise to what the vet says upon our appointment.

Yes!!!!!!

I am pleased to say that this morning I had him out to weigh him and I offered water via a syringe. He continued to drink for 2 syringe fulls (20mls in total). I was able to sneak a wax worm in, which he continued to take. I tried a small silk as well....he was a little reluctant, I think the size factor but it was a small one. I did get him to open up and I thought he was going to spit it out, but last minute CHOMP!! Down it went :D
I know it's not much but I think he's showing some good signs.

Now, vet is away but the office is going to give me the calcium I need for him :)
Oh and his weight was 9.8 grams for slightly older than 1 year :eek:

Woot:eek::D:eek: Maybe he is gonna pull through after all!

I am hoping so!!

Vet just called me as well, they have called me a prescription in to pick up liquid calcium. I guess my vet's office has another vet in there now and she seemed awesome over the phone. We are starting him on treatment for approx. 120 days she figures, and in 2 weeks he will go in for a check & fecal float.
We decided it best to not cause more stress than needed & based on our discussion she feels safe enough to trust my suspected diagnosis and start treatment.
Around here we do not have a 100% herp vet but sounds like this new one could be :D She wouldn't let me off the phone until she confirmed I was aware of all the needs (heat, lighting, diet) of a chameleon! I advised her that this is my 2nd rescue taken in within 5 weeks, I currently have 12 chams- 4 different species, and eggs incubating. She was happy. It was very nice to know she cared enough to ensure the caller was informed though.

No debate intended Panther, Just wanted to put down some thoughts about reptile pain, wasnt referring to your animal, unintentional hijack sorry. :)
Glad to hear you got something into it, I hope it recovers for you.
Best wishes :)

my veild had MBD, i spent weeks getting him better. i put liquid calcium, and crushed wax worms and pin-head crickets in a needle-less syringe, and fed him this way for weeks. he is now the strongest most angry veild chameleon out there. i thought he was going to die, but i put him daily in the sun and kept him fed and watered and he pulled through great.

give him time and work with him, he will pull through and you will see results in about a week, I did.

my veild had MBD, i spent weeks getting him better. i put liquid calcium, and crushed wax worms and pin-head crickets in a needle-less syringe, and fed him this way for weeks. he is now the strongest most angry veild chameleon out there. i thought he was going to die, but i put him daily in the sun and kept him fed and watered and he pulled through great.

give him time and work with him, he will pull through and you will see results in about a week, I did.

Thanks :) I am working with him and I do feel he'll pull through. We are in for a slow, long uphill climb but we'll get there. Lastnight, while in my hand he had no grip really, tonight while watering him I felt a pinch of his nails:)

No debate intended Panther, Just wanted to put down some thoughts about reptile pain, wasnt referring to your animal, unintentional hijack sorry. :)
Glad to hear you got something into it, I hope it recovers for you.
Best wishes :)

No worries, that's what forums are about; information, support, advice, some friendly debating. I know it wasn't a direct comment to me or my animal, I enjoyed the hijacking debate. Reptile pain is a very hot topic and from my experiences they "feel" pain & illness, maybe not completely at our level but pretty darn close I believe.

Update

The last few days have gone very well with this guy. I am so happy & I'd almost bet he is feeling the love :)

He is getting liquid calcium & phyt0-cal (which is homopathic, it's purpose is to ensure that calcium is absorbed) daily.

I am still holding him and rubbing his food around the mouth, with slight pressure from wiggling I can get him to open his mouth. When he does this I just slide food in until he bites down & then goes to town. Until yesterday, he was given a few worms (silks and/or horns only), but I had fed crickets to him today, same way. Then we do the water by hand (3 times a day). He also gets misted during the day, which he'll drink a little then too.

He is able to sit on his vines now, with some slight wobbles, however, he does hold on with some good grip.

He is showing a great amount of yellow in his coloring now. I do believe we are on a slow climb upwards, and will reach it when he's ready.

This picture is from this morning after feeding/water time.

Attachments

• res in cage.jpg
    res in cage.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 131
Panther where is this vet at seems like they might be a good one to remember. I dont have much for good vets here.

The vet is located West Lethbridge. Dr. M.Maclean is the one I've dealt with on this guy, as I said before she is new to the office. The regular vet I use there is Dr. R. Macfarlen with whom has been awesome with any reptile I have rescued or taken to him.

I also consult with a lady who does homeopathic work with dogs, cats & reptiles. (Actually does pet therapy with reptiles as well). She is just as great. To further clarify her passion she is also president of local humane society here.

Nice thing is both the vet (Macfarlen) & humane society president work very well together :)

Where are you located? I've heard that Calgary is to have a decent vet but no personal experience there??

It is just dreadful that this poor little fella has endured such a bad start in life, but wonderful to see the love and attention you have given to him is paying off. I really hope he continues to improve. Spending the time and money to nurse him back to health is amazing. Good luck, although i`m sure you won`t need it. :)

Im in raymond so lethbridge is excelent i hadnt found a good vet there. till now that is.

Nice!! Outside of one other person with the cham love, I didn't think there were others close :)

The clinic is located behind Home Hardware on West side - Highlands Pet Hospital -contact number is 403-327-PETS.

Thanks i appreciate the contact and location info.
Best of luck with your rescue cause thats definatley what it is. Just means that when he makes it you will enjoy him all that much more.

It is with much regret I post such a sad end to this fella's story. I've been trying to understand it but I guess it's one of mother nature's ways, even if we don't understand.

This guy passed last week. :(

This guy was showing great improvement, however, I still had to coax him to open his lips to accept food & syringe water into him. He never did take food on his own.

We started to see his bones improve, casque no longer bendable, and he gained strength to hold himself on vines/branches.... and then he started to sleep during the day. The vet thought he was now getting too much calcium. We removed him from the liquid calcium for 2 weeks and I only dusted crickets.

It seemed to work, he perked up again. Again, through all of this I would rub the food to his mouth, he then would open, and I'd poke it in.

It was a rough rollercoaster ride for this guy, with his many ups and downs and in the end I don't think he had a will to live. I believe I provided him a better existence but I do wonder if I prolonged any suffering?

I guess we can't save them all as much as we'd like to.

Thank you to everyone who wished us well, comments/advice and following his story.

On a more positive note, the first rescue veiled I received, has now been placed in her forever home :)

I'm so sorry to hear that the male did not make it. Take comfort in that you gave him your all. So nice to hear the female had a happy ending. Jann

Back
Top Bottom