Waxworm Breeding

Stalker

guys i am trying to breed waxworms for a month and a half now but with little success up to now. Here is what im doing : im mixing wheat bran, honey and glycerol until i get a not very moist substance. Everything was going great in the begining. Starting with only 20 waxworms i had a few thousand in the jar i use. The temperatures are between 27-30 degrees C. But the mixture started to mould. What i saw was the jar being heated to even greater tepmerature by the worms in it. I thought that the mixture is too moist and made a new one a lot dryer also waited for 1 day before using it. It was difficult to move the worms but i did it. But the result is the same the mixture started moulding. Now i have around 200-300 waxworms and obviously some kind of problem :confused: please help me figure what am i doing wrong

Well, honey is a natural preservative, so maybe you are not using enough? Ventilationair flow keeps mold from growing usually. Or you could always just buy a mold inhibitor and add it to the mix.

You might want to try a larger plastic container, with cheesecloth as your cover, for ventilation. Sounds like not enough air flow. Had same thing happen when I tried to breed crickets!

okay thank you :) i will try with larger jars and less medium i hope it works
by the way can someone suggest me mold inhibtor he used and knows that it is safe for chameleons and other reptiles

Back
Top Bottom