Water

Flacon67

Established Member
Hi, I was just misting my chameleon enclosure. I have had this veiled chameleon for 3 days. While spraying the chameleon enclosure. I saw that the chameleon hid from the water. Should I spray the chameleon? The skin almost looks dry in my opinion but I have only had it for 3 days.

I spray the cage for about 2 minutes until everything is pretty wet. I’m not sure if the cage is a appropriate cage. The chameleon looks pretty dark tho.. he has been this color for most of the time, when we got him he was a much lighter green, I’ve never seen him the same color since.

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? My chameleon is a female. It has been 3 days in my care. I don’t know the age.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? I have handled it 2 time sense I got it. It has been 3 days since I got it
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Crickets are what I feed my cham. I give 3-4 crickets. I use fluckers orange cube to hit load them.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? I am giving it zoo med calcuim and a rep cal- herptivite. I am dusting my feeders every two days. And vitamins every Saturday.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? I mist the cage with room temperature water. I most for 2 min 4 times a day. I have never seen my chameleon drink.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? It is half white and have brown. My chameleon has never been tested for parisites. I don’t think
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. I bought this veiled chameleon at PetSmart.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? My cage is a full screen cage. The deminsions are 16x16x30
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? We use a 100watt basking bulb and a 5.0 uvb zoo med bulb. I believe they are both zoomed
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? The top of my cage, the basking spot is 92 to 80. We have a 100watt bulb. The basking spot is about 4 inches down from the top of the cage. I use a digital thermometer.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? My humidity is at 50-80. I have a dual thermometer and hydrometer but I don’t think it is very accurate.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?. We have no live plants at all. We have one big and twisty piece of wood with fake leaves on it. The piece of wood
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? My cage is on my nightstand next to my bed. My top of my cage is about 4-5 off the ground.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?: I am in Georgia.

i spray all around the enclosure. getting everything wet and dripping on the plants, he usually starts drinking the drops. i watch him. sometimes he approaches me and ill lightly mist him directly. but overall i dont go for him just all around him.

Ok thanks, but do you happen to know why I have never seen him in his green that I bought him in. He has never been as bright after that

ok, well first do you have a lay bin

dont gut load with that orange cube stuff unless you have fresh veggies to go with it. cricket crack and repashy are good

supplement calcium d3 every other week multivitamin every other week and no d3 every day

you need a 2x2x4 screen cage eventually

you need a linear t5ho linear 5.0 when she is a baby and a linear 10.0 when she is grown

basking should be 80 to 85

humidity should be 50-60 with spikes and drops in humidity to fight respiratory infections

it will take her a while to acclimate dont do anything with her except feed and mist every day for the next week.

i spray all around the enclosure. getting everything wet and dripping on the plants, he usually starts drinking the drops. i watch him. sometimes he approaches me and ill lightly mist him directly. but overall i dont go for him just all around him.
Can you post a good picture of the enclosure please?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 163
I spray my guys all the time! Sometimes they hate it and run for cover, sometimes they enjoy the shower. In the wild they'd get rained on... and they often drink when I spray them. That being said, I don't hose them down... I mist all around the cage and give them a few squirts in the process. Mist King is getting setup this week. :D

Edit: I always fill the bottle with warm water. It doesn't come out as warm spray, but it is not a cold shock.

What do you think about my cage, is t acceptable?

unfortunately, no. The chipped bark at the bottom is a choking / impaction risk and you should get rid of that ASAP. I think you need horizontal branches and foliage. The plant in the enclosure looks pretty but would not really serve a purpose for your chameleon. You'll also want to eventually upgrade the UVB light.

Your cham is probably dark because it is cold and not able to get close enough to absorb the UVB and bask under the heat lamp. It should have a basking spot within so many inches of the light to get the right temp, as well as to be able to get closer to the UVB light.

I'd recommend going to the hardware store or garden store and getting a schefflera arbicola tree to start. That would be an almost instant fix, allowing your guy to hide, drink, and climb higher. Then you could use some Flukers vines and branches to create horizontal branches for them that weave in and out of the tree as well a bit closer to the lights.

So what do you think that the substrate should be? And could u possibly send me a picture of your cage or something that I should look up to.

aww! I didn't even notice your little guy at the top. See, he is trying to get closer to bask, but it looks like he barely has enough space at the top of the tree to hold on.

Well you really dont even need substrate. Paper towels work great and will make cleaning the cage a breeze.

I just moved my guy up to a bigger cage, with a schefflera and some branches as his temporary setup. I'm going bioactive in the next few weeks, but paper towels have served me well thus far! It's easy to pull out the plants and squirt them off while I clean the bottom of the cage. I'll post a pic of the temporary set up until all my bioactive stuff is ready.

I'm not sure about the lighting. I use a 75watt, personally, and I carefully measure the temp and adjust the basking spot until its just right. My guys are a little bigger than yours, though, so they have learned not to get too close to the basking light (as they will burn their little feet if they do).

Back
Top Bottom