Water crystals

nick barta

Chameleon Enthusiast
Site Sponsor
Do you use water crystles for Crickets and roaches? Any down side? what do you put them in?

Thanks!

I use them all the time for my crickets. I put them on a plastic lid like a yogurt lid or something larger like a coffee can plastic lid. Depending on how many crickets you have, just put about a tablespoon full in the lid. You will probably have to fill your lid daily. If you just put a bunch in the crystals get poopie and start to dry out.

Do you mean the jello stuff like cricket quench? If so if your using for roaches dont use the kind that has calcium if i'm wrong please someone correct me but calcium if eatin can be deadly to roaches in higher levels

You can purchase the dry crystals and hydrate your own in small batches. I keep about a months supply hydrated iin a cupboard.

I use them for roaches but not for crickets. The crickets would walk through them and cause too much moisture and then I would have dead crickets.

I don't have that problem at all. The crickets just sit there and drink. Maybe you hydrated them too much??????

I use water crystals for crickets and roaches.

I put them on a lid in the containers

When I hydrate them I use Distiled water. This helps keep the crystals fresh.

1 oz (a few teaspoons) dry makes a gallon hydrated

I also use veggies but I have found especially with pinheads my cricket deaths have gone down a huge amount using the crystals. Even when veggies are provided.

An interesting fact about the crystals ... They can be re hydrated by dropping water on top of them as long as they do not dry out completely. They tend to get a little dirty in the cricket containers but I do this in the roaches.

Water Crystals are the best way to hydrate crickets & roaches period. Plus their cheap as can be!
http://watergelcrystals.com/ - $7.60 + $4.75 shipping for 1lb and that will make a lot!!!
When I make it I use 2 tsp for about 9 cups distilled water or about 7 cups tap water.

Both my roaches and crickets get all their hydration needs met via food sources, rather than gell crystals.

This is what I do.
Providing fresh greens, squash, carrot, etc a couple of times a week gives my bugs all the moisture they need.
I do put them in right after washing ... so the food is a little bit wet.

-Brad

I was using water crystals on my roaches but I can't find the bag I had... lol So I use those stupid pillows that you soak. I am using a watering dish with my crickets....

I use this one for my smaller crickets. Ya soak the sponge in water.. then place in the tray, fill the white part... screw together and then flip.... The wooden piece is a trade secret.... I don't have a drill press or a huge hole saw so I just buy them from Mulberry Farms.

IMG_9098.jpg

This helps the smaller crickets get to the water... the red plastic isn't good for climbing.

IMG_9099.jpg

IMG_9100.jpg

Anyone have water gel crystals? the url isn't working for me.
I'm out and I'd rather get a larger supply then buying another bottle of flukers.

I think I got mine from watercrystals.com, or watergelcrystals.com. Have to check.

I paid $20 and have more than I'll use in the next decade.

Though, after figuring out another use, I might run out sooner.

FICUS CUTTINGS.

Take a bucket, fill with water crystals.
Take a ficus, cut the piece off that you want.
Scrape off the bark for the bottom 3 inches or so
Cover the cut part (scraped area) with rooting hormone
Shove the thing in the water crystals
Wait a few months.
I had a cutting in a bucket of these for 6 months in the basement - I forgot about it. The root ball is 6" wide. Just the lighting coming off my cages kept it growing.

They dont' seem to kill the roots like plain water does, but it's a lot cleaner than dirt - you can see when the roots are growing.

yah i was going to order some from watergelcrystals.com but the url no longer works for me... wasn't sure if it's my firewall or filtering at work or if the site is no longer up.

Ryan does sell small quantities for a reasonable price, I was just going to order a pound or two to get that "bulk" discount.

Do you all use K or Na for watering roaches and crickets? I think the Flukers crystals I've been using have calcium in them and I guess they are based on the sodium polycrilic stuff so i might just order some of that.. I think 1 lb makes 30 gallons or so?

Edit: looks like the watergelcrystals web site is working agian

Last edited:
I cut the bottoms off of plastic water bottles and use them to hold water crystals, veggies and dry gutload. Kinda hard to clean them out after a while due to the ridges on the bottom but there are always of plenty of empty bottles in the recycling.

Back
Top Bottom