Water crystal newbie...

By the way, while we are on the topic of bins, check this out...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdEfjuYREcM

I need to do this! We buy crickets at 250 at a time, and the smell is awful! I am considering doing this, plus adding to it a false bottom of screen to allow the cricket poo to fall through and then used as a fertilizer for our plants...unfortunately, we just got the 250 today, so that project will have to wait a while.

Wow! That's a lil excessive! Lol. I'm not really into breeding crix, so I'll have to pass on this! Keep us posted on yours when it's done! ;)

Here's my cricket bin:

37531d1308973741-cricket-setup-cricket2.jpg

Nice and simple! I likey! :)

We don't have a ton of animals to feed, but we know people who do, and who also do not support the big chains stores, so if I can "hippy help" them out, then cool.

(Hippy help is my term for making a bunch of something until you just have to give it away. Sort of a hippy commune type of concept adapted to suit my girlfriend and I's lifestyle of being generous with people wherever possible while pissing off "the man" by not supporting chain stores)

With all that in mind, we are trying to save my by spending a little to maintain what we have spent the money on, in this case, cricket lifespan. Plus, our gutload is already made and ready for months down the road. Our setup will be excessive, but worth it in the long run.

maxttu...you just need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid (about $6 at Home Depot) some screening...I had that in stock because, well, I'm me and I do crazy s**t all the time, but it's not expensive... duct tape and a hole saw. In my house, this was a $5 project with about 20 minutes of labor...

maxttu...you just need a 5 gallon bucket with a lid (about $6 at Home Depot) some screening...I had that in stock because, well, I'm me and I do crazy s**t all the time, but it's not expensive... duct tape and a hole saw. In my house, this was a $5 project with about 20 minutes of labor...

Whereas mine will involve dismantling a couple old computer towers, wiring the fans up, cutting pvc, and several hours of work...both methods will work, mine will just give me more to do on the weekend.

Why bother

A simple storage bin with a few egg crates will do nicely.
Buckets tend to hold in all the CO2 and ammonia they produce... open containers do much better -especially if your buying large amounts of feeders.

No need to go all crazy with this much effort.
forget the crystals... and all the fancy stuff that people have put out there for sale. To me they're worthless... would YOU want to eat something filled with that junk? I wouldn't.

Crickets have done well enough for millions of years without all that crap.
Water is given to mine via a orange slice.. but you can use any juicy fruit you want.
It also flavors the cricket so that the cham won't be eating the same damn bland thing every damn day.

Proper ventilation is needed no matter how you keep your crickets. That's why there are screened holes all around and on the top of my container.

Water crystals are commonly used for hydration and are very successful. While I know that some crystals are supposed to provide nutritional value, I always view them as hydration only and provide separate food.

I don't attribute human attitudes on food to chameleons.

Back
Top Bottom