Water Conditioners?

Are water conditions really needed? I often read and hear conflicting information about this, some say you don't need it for reptiles when misting and drinking, some say you do need it as nitrates in tap water is harmful.

So are products like reptisafe water conditioner really needed are is it a money making product? I use water conditioners for my aquariums but never for my reptiles and never showed any issues drinking tap water.

Are water conditions really needed? I often read and hear conflicting information about this, some say you don't need it for reptiles when misting and drinking, some say you do need it as nitrates in tap water is harmful.

So are products like reptisafe water conditioner really needed are is it a money making product? I use water conditioners for my aquariums but never for my reptiles and never showed any issues drinking tap water.

This is a difficult one too give a blanket answer to. It really depends on the quality of the water in your home, and whether chlorine or chloramine is used in treating your water. You can find out which is used by calling your water company.

If you have good water that is low in mineral content (total dissolved solids or TDS) and chlorine is used to treat your water, then you do not need a water conditioner, just let the water sit in an open container for 24 hours before use. If, however, you have high TDS (i.e. well water) or your water is treated with chloramine then you need a water conditioner, a good water filter, or even a Reverse Osmosis system. Alternatively, you can Purchase distilled or RO water.

Back
Top Bottom