Help Brainstorm Feasibility of Running Water Supply Designs? (TROPCIAL ARBOREAL REPTILE SPECIES SET UP)

Lagoona Oasis

Hey y'all! I have an asian vine snake named Fenty. I oftentimes find that her husbandry needs are very similar to that of a chameleon. Like a lot of arboreal reptiles, she only drinks water (or is even stimulated to drink) when she encounters running water like when it rains in the rain forest are the drops hit her body/head. I have moved back and forth between automatic misters/sprayers and manual given the lack of quality at a decent price when it comes to mist pumps. I've long had a vision of having a waterfall type feature in her set up, or even a floating "river" of sorts, where the reservoir for the water would be housed outside of the cage itself, with tubing to feed the water via pump into the tank, have it spill out into whatever "obstacle course" or "race track" the water would navigate through/on the tank, and then ultimately be fed back out of the tank to return to the reservoir (which would also have a filter).

Has anybody tried something like this before? My thought is that the water higher up in the tank and closer to the lighting would promote more even humidity in the tank, and also, the likelihood for her to encounter moving water on her own accord would be higher, and not 100% dependent on me hand giving her water everyday.

Would love any and all feedback on the idea either why this wouldn't work or how you might think the execution would work. Thanks for the help y'all!

p.s. this is an alternative to building a paludarium style waterfall feature where it's all self contained inside the tank.
Also, I currently have her in a 36"x36"x18" reptibreeze where the front doors have been refurnished with acrylic panels, and there is plastic covering on all sides except for a 6" horizontal gap at the top of the left wall and a 6" horizontal gap at the bottom of the right wall to create a draft for ventilation, half of the top is covered in glass. The heat lamps are positioned away from any plastics to avoid excessive VOCs. The entire reptibreeze has been clipped to the top of a 40gal glass breeder aquarium where the substrate layers are held and plants planted. All sides of the reptibreeze have also been fitted with DIY dragon ledges where I have various orchids, branches, air plants etc attached to in order to create the "canopy" feel for her.

Back
Top Bottom