Water Choice for Hydrating

chamdy

Is it better to use distilled or purified water in misting and fogging? Or does it not matter?

Is it better to use distilled or purified water in misting and fogging? Or does it not matter?

IIRC the most it matters is how it affects your equipment. I have well water. I have tanks setup, and I add salt. I use water right out of the faucet and I've had no issues with either my chameleon, or the mister or fogger. With that being said, I also never let them dry up. I always keep water flowing through them. If you absolutely have to choose between distilled or purified, I want to say others prefer distilled, but wait for more experienced keepers to answer that actually use these options. I feel like my situation isn't typical.

Our rule of thumb is to use any water that has under 5-10 total dissolved solids (TDS). We have particularly hard water where we live and everything through our faucets is run through the salt softening system that I don't want being pumped into the enclosures. I treat water for the chams through a Zero Water Pitcher which conveniently has a TDS meter on it as well. I don't find myself changing the filter on this all that often and we use A TON of water (lots of it goes to specialized plants we have too).

If we're buying jugs of water from the store to use, we switch between purified and distilled depending on what's in stock at the time.

Distilled or RO only. Other water will put spots on everything including plants and quickly destroy MK nozzles. You can save a ton of time and money if you make your own.

Back
Top Bottom