Walking on the bottom after misting

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
I have noticed that Stormy will walk on the bottom of his cage right after I mist it, in circles around the perimeter a couple times, but ONLY after I mist. Is this normal? Like will his feet be ok doing this daily for a couple minutes? (It’s a wet, flat surface)

And he is definitely a male. So it’s not egg laying. (I don’t think) but anyways it’s just weird that he does this every day after I mist, so thanks for any help

Beman and Bane patrol their entire territory and this includes the bottom. I think it may just be a coincidence that it is after misting. Maybe him just trying to get down out of the water. But it is pretty common behavior once they start maturing and looking for a female.

His feet should be fine but I would ensure that your draining off the drip pan so there is not water sitting. Also if you have plants on the bottom floor you can replant into clay pots. The clay pots will help absorb the moisture. Just make sure the plants are those that like water.

And like @coastal_chameleon mentioned... What is your misting schedule?

My schedule is not recommended tbh, sorry about that. I know it could be better. But currently I’m having to hand mist, because we have a electrical problem. If I plug in the automatic mister, it’ll shut off all his lights and everything. So I’m misting in the day time, once a day. I’m doing a thorough misting bc it’s once only, and he definitely has enough to drink if he’s thirsty. And I don’t want this to sound bad, but am not really looking for people to tell me I need to change the schedule to before lights on and after they are off. That would be difficult. And based off his environment I think he will be completely fine for a week more with me misting on this schedule. But I’m sorry i just really don’t want to be told that I Need to change it, I just think he will be totally good in the end. Please don’t get mad at me anyone don’t take this the wrong way, sry that sounds embarrassing

My schedule is not recommended tbh, sorry about that. I know it could be better. But currently I’m having to hand mist, because we have a electrical problem. If I plug in the automatic mister, it’ll shut off all his lights and everything. So I’m misting in the day time, once a day. I’m doing a thorough misting bc it’s once only, and he definitely has enough to drink if he’s thirsty. And I don’t want this to sound bad, but am not really looking for people to tell me I need to change the schedule to before lights on and after they are off. That would be difficult. And based off his environment I think he will be completely fine for a week more with me misting on this schedule. But I’m sorry i just really don’t want to be told that I Need to change it, I just think he will be totally good in the end. Please don’t get mad at me anyone don’t take this the wrong way, sry that sounds embarrassing
So I am going to adult here... It is not about us getting mad... Your young I know. So your wording needs some work... We are not here to get mad at you. We are here to help you and guide you.

Now then this makes sense. You left out the part that he was being misted by an automatic mister and now your hand misting. Is this when the behavior started? How long are you hand misting for? and are you making sure not to spray him directly?

Per the hand misting make sure your not doing it mid day. The reason most of us do it prior to lights on and in the evening after basking has kicked off is that we are adding moisture when the enclosure is cooler. So yes you can still hand spray just pick the best time to do so. In the morning when you wake up and in the evening.

Ok thanks sorry. I will mist in the evening only from now on.
Yeah I forgot to mention that he used to have an automatic one. I never noticed this behavior until I have started hand misting. I am hand misting for 1-2 minutes. And I do not spray at him, although he does sometimes get a couple drops on him when I mist the enclosure, is this bad for him?thanks

Plug your mister in a different outlet connected to a different breaker

Ok thanks sorry. I will mist in the evening only from now on.
Yeah I forgot to mention that he used to have an automatic one. I never noticed this behavior until I have started hand misting. I am hand misting for 1-2 minutes. And I do not spray at him, although he does sometimes get a couple drops on him when I mist the enclosure, is this bad for him?thanks
Ok that sounds good sweetheart. If he goes down to the bottom when your actually misting then it could be the difference in the spray from the hand mister. Mistking puts out a very fine mist compared to the different hand sprayers. If it just happens to happen at some point during the day then he is now going into maturity. This too is nothing to be concerned about.

They typically do not stay on the bottom that long before they come back up. His feet will dry back out. Just make sure your wiping out that bottom to get fecal and yuck off of it. You don't want it sitting for days and growing bacteria. I would use dawn soap on wet paper towels. Wipe it all out really well then dry it back off.

Ok that sounds good sweetheart. If he goes down to the bottom when your actually misting then it could be the difference in the spray from the hand mister. Mistking puts out a very fine mist compared to the different hand sprayers. If it just happens to happen at some point during the day then he is now going into maturity. This too is nothing to be concerned about.

They typically do not stay on the bottom that long before they come back up. His feet will dry back out. Just make sure your wiping out that bottom to get fecal and yuck off of it. You don't want it sitting for days and growing bacteria. I would use dawn soap on wet paper towels. Wipe it all out really well then dry it back off.
Ok thanks! i will do that.

I am not
Going to make it cheap.
I am very serious in what I tell you and all what I tell you is Motivated by love and respect and aimed to explain you how to think proper way about the situation. There is nothing bad intended, no offense, no hurt. Just truth and responsibility.
If yiu accept this, pleas read further otherwise skip it.

Noone is telling you anything here to patronize you.
All the aid here is directed to the
Benefit of your chameleon and to the benefit of you as an inexperienced keeper, so that you have great experience keeping a chameleon.

I am not going to tell you what to do
Istead, I will explain you what happens
And you take a Wise decision hopefully at the end if my speech.

So, first,
Misting at daytime is wrong.
Especially at lights on.
The combination of high temperatures and high humidity is a deadly trap for a chameleon,
As it increases the probability of respiratory infections that are lethal in many cases by maybe 1000
Times. The effect of this is cumulative. So,
If you do for several days, it is just a matter of time when your chameleon will die.
You are smart enough not to cut the throat of your chameleon with a blade, because he would die.
So, if yiu mist at daytime, he will die too.
No difference.
The statement “I believe he will be OK” is not a magical formula that will prevent the inevitable
Ill-effect of what brings the wrong and deadly misting at daytime.

Second
You have a captive chameleon. It is not a toy. It is a living creature. You have responsibility for it. And it has its requirements
Me myself and all the people here can have understanding for circumstances, why you can not do this and this and can pardon you and say: yes, sure, we understand.
I assure you, the one in the cage will NOT understand and will NOT pardon you.
He will ruthlessly say: I do Not care! Give me what I need otherwise I will die! I can NOT pardon you because you owe me correct husbandry and I require it.
No excuse.
No pardon.

Third
Your chamelon will
Try to talk to you.
And yiu can understand it if you listen.
Not many people
Have the capabilities to do so.
Now, I will show you that you have a talent.
You can listen well!!!.
You do not however understand what is he telling you Yet...

Now look.
He can not talk-in words
So, He speaks to you using behavior.

Is it normal for a chameleon to drop to the ground after some event and to walk on the wet slippery surface?
NO, it is NOT!!!

So, what has caused the atypical behavior of the Chamaeleon? What was the reason for this?
Obviously it was the thing you did before!

What was it? What did you do that forced the Chamaeleon to go down to the ground?
Obviously it was the misting!!!

So, if the chameleon does something unnatural how can you rate the reason that you gave him to do so?
Obviously also something unnatural right?

I will translate you know what the Chamaeleon is telling you:
What rhe hell are you doing?!
I do not like it!!!
I am afraid I will die!!!
Why the hell are you repeating it for several days already?
I’m crying I’m shouting out please stop that’s this insane wrong thing that makes me angry!!!
Vhy do you think I tell you while dropping to the ground and make someting you have never seen from me?
Just for fun?!
NOOOOO!
Wake up finally and give me peace and stop doing this insane thing that I am so afraid off that I’m scared that I will die!!!

So, this is what he wants to tell you!

Why?
Because misting the cage is unnatural!!! No one is misting his environment in the wild with pressurized water.
He either drinks fog in the night time or he might be exposed to rain
but rain is not misting! it is completely different!
it happens while the clouds make the climate cold and dark and prevent the Chamaeleon from the danger of hot and humid environment to make him deadly ill through RI!

I hope you understand now.

From now you please listen to your chamelekn and try tomfind out what he is telling you regerdless he xan not hear anything and xan not speak

He can speak

It is just up to you to listen and understand

Last edited:
I am not
Going to make it cheap.
I am very serious in what I tell you and all what I tell you is Motivated by love and respect and aimed to explain you how to think proper way about the situation. There is nothing bad intended, no offense, no hurt. Just truth and responsibility.
If yiu accept this, pleas read further otherwise skip it.

Noone is telling you anything here to patronize you.
All the aid here is directed to the
Benefit of your chameleon and to the benefit of you as an inexperienced keeper, so that you have great experience keeping a chameleon.

I am not going to tell you what to do
Istead, I will explain you what happens
And you take a Wise decision hopefully at the end if my speech.

So, first,
Misting at daytime is wrong.
Especially at lights on.
The combination of high temperatures and high humidity is a deadly trap for a chameleon,
As it increases the probability of respiratory infections that are lethal in many cases by maybe 1000
Times. The effect of this is cumulative. So,
If you do for several days, it is just a matter of time when your chameleon will die.
You are smart enough not to cut the throat of your chameleon with a blade, because he would die.
So, if yiu mist at daytime, he will die too.
No difference.
The statement “I believe he will be OK” is not a magical formula that will prevent the inevitable
Ill-effect of what brings the wrong and deadly misting at daytime.

Second
You have a captive chameleon. It is not a toy. It is a living creature. You have responsibility for it. And it has its requirements
Me myself and all the people here can have understanding for circumstances, why you can not do this and this and can pardon you and say: yes, sure, we understand.
I assure you, the one in the cage will NOT understand and will NOT pardon you.
He will ruthlessly say: I do Not care! Give me what I need otherwise I will die! I can NOT pardon you because you owe me correct husbandry and I require it.
No excuse.
No pardon.

Third
Your chamelon will
Try to talk to you.
And yiu can understand it if you listen.
Not many people
Have the capabilities to do so.
Now, I will show you that you have a talent.
You can listen well!!!.
You do not however understand what is he telling you Yet...

Now look.
He can not talk-in words
So, He speaks to you using behavior.

Is it normal for a chameleon to drop to the ground after some event and to walk on the wet slippery surface?
NO, it is NOT!!!

So, what has caused the atypical behavior of the Chamaeleon? What was the reason for this?
Obviously it was the thing you did before!

What was it? What did you do that forced the Chamaeleon to go down to the ground?
Obviously it was the misting!!!

So, if the chameleon does something unnatural how can you rate the reason that you gave him to do so?
Obviously also something unnatural right?

I will translate you know what the Chamaeleon is telling you:
What rhe hell are you doing?!
I do not like it!!!
I am afraid I will die!!!
Why the hell are you repeating it for several days already?
I’m crying I’m shouting out please stop that’s this insane wrong thing that makes me angry!!!
Vhy do you think I tell you while dropping to the ground and make someting you have never seen from me?
Just for fun?!
NOOOOO!
Wake up finally and give me peace and stop doing this insane thing that I am so afraid off that I’m scared that I will die!!!

So, this is what he wants to tell you!

Why?
Because misting the cage is unnatural!!! No one is misting his environment in the wild with pressurized water.
He either drinks fog in the night time or he might be exposed to rain
but rain is not misting! it is completely different!
it happens while the clouds make the climate cold and dark and prevent the Chamaeleon from the danger of hot and humid environment to make him deadly ill through RI!

I hope you understand now.

From now you please listen to your chamelekn and try tomfind out what he is telling you regerdless he xan not hear anything and xan not speak

He can speak

It is just up to you to listen and understand
Thank you for your opinion. I will take it all into consideration and I will try to make his environment better and more ideal to the best of my ability. But some things I cannot really change!

I feel so conflicted here because I could get a fogger, a 200 dollar dehumidifier, and a Mistking and something to cover the cage with while I fogged in the night, but then it would be so humid in my room and... bleh!! I almost feel like it wouldn’t make sense, just because he is perfectly hydrated and seems to be perfectly healthy, so why change that? I would have to change the whole environment from how it is, troubleshoot a bunch of new problems, and spend a bunch of money (that IMO might be better spent on something else for him) just for the same results? The only benefit being it’s in a supposedly more naturalistic way? I might just not understand and in that case, please inform me WHY I’m wrong, other than the fact that “it’s only a matter of time.” I just have many other things I would like to spend my money on for him, and I need to prioritize. I don’t have an unlimited supply of money.

The only benefit being it’s in a supposedly more naturalistic way?
I clearly recall him saying that your cham will die if you continue this, not that it is not "naturalistic" enough in his opinion... I personally would see a live cham as quite a big benefit.

Back
Top Bottom