Vitamin A suppliment

This is a quote from the Dendroboard regarding bean beetles.
"From my research out of all 3 common culture foods, black-eyed peas have the least nutritional value per 100grams. Adzuki takes the mid range in nutritional value. But Mung Beans seem to have some more nutritional value (including more Vitamin A, more Calcium, and some other things that I cant remember)."
The snails not being insects but rather mollusks probably have Vitamin A as retinol.
From the USDA 100 gm of smail
"Vitamin A, RAE30µgCalculated"
RAE means retinol activity equivalents so doesn't specify pre or pro
Thanks for this
I found something similar when I was digging around a bit.
I also found a different species of bean beetle than what’s normally available that had a roughly 16:1 Ca-P ratio. Hopefully ours are similar
I also found articles showing how bean beetle infestation reduced Vitamin A and B’s in the plants grown from grains they infested. This also suggested they are taking a fair amount of nutrition from their food.

You said..."This suggests to me that they we’re creating an excess Of these vitamins and minerals to what the bugs would normally carry with them"...this could be true and be important then as a method of getting nutrients into chameleons.

I feed a fuzzy mouse to my Parsons once a month 🤷‍♂️. Reptivite or repashy lod have done well for me too.

Pretty sure this subject has been beaten to death with no clear answer other than what has and hasn't worked for people. Not that I'm against reading further discussions!

I feed a fuzzy mouse to my Parsons once a month 🤷‍♂️. Reptivite or repashy lod have done well for me too.

Pretty sure this subject has been beaten to death with no clear answer other than what has and hasn't worked for people. Not that I'm against reading further discussions!
It has been beaten to death, but without double blinded, multi center trials from multiple sources and meta-analyses of the multiple studies this poor old dead horse Is probably going to take occasional beatings as we rehash what we do (and definitely don’t) know about it. And I enjoy it so I’ll line up to take a swing at that horse every chance I get😂

845A05DF-BC42-4355-BDC7-DC2EC70B9CCF.jpeg

It has been beaten to death, but without double blinded, multi center trials from multiple sources and meta-analyses of the multiple studies this poor old dead horse Is probably going to take occasional beatings as we rehash what we do (and definitely don’t) know about it. And I enjoy it so I’ll line up to take a swing at that horse every chance I get😂

View attachment 291349

Yeah I totally agree with you, but I don't know if they'll be happening anytime soon. Haven't seen much new info/studies.

Absolutely vitamin A is certainly one to be careful with. A nice moderate source us bombix mori aka silkworm fed on the cooked chow
Hi. I am having a problem with my 6 month panther's eyes. He eats silkworms regularly. I am researching here and it seems the likely cause of his blinking, eye closing and rubbing is a vitamin a deficiency, but are you suggesting that silkworms are a good source of vitamin A? Is it possible he has overdone it? They are his favourite food and he is half the size he should be for reasons I cannot explain, so I have been giving them to him freely. eek maybe?????

Not very much vitamin a, just fact it is present in them which is unusual for an terrestrial invertebrates that's not feeding on carrion, aquatic invertebrates on the other hand seem to be much higher in the vitamin. I would look at your supplements more if you are thinking its hypovitaminosis

Thanks for this
I found something similar when I was digging around a bit.
I also found a different species of bean beetle than what’s normally available that had a roughly 16:1 Ca-P ratio. Hopefully ours are similar
I also found articles showing how bean beetle infestation reduced Vitamin A and B’s in the plants grown from grains they infested. This also suggested they are taking a fair amount of nutrition from their food
When I was doing research on bean beetles I found that those fed mung beans had a higher vitamin A level but on further research that is in the form of beta carotene and not retinol.
Until we know if they can actually convert one to the other we are just stumbling around in the dark. Where is that horse pinata?

I agree. This almost certainly won’t happen any time soon, if ever. There’s no real commercial value, so no one is going to spend the money to get this type of research done
Wait, what research are we talking about? Just gut loading to increase nutrients in feeder insects in general?

Vitamin A requirements of captive chameleons. How much is too much, too little, etc
I find it strange that there’s no real commercial value for the exact nutrient requirements of chameleons. I would think that zoological organizations would want to pay for research on something like this.
I hope whoever accepts the research grant from Mazuri can study this.

I find it strange that there’s no real commercial value for the exact nutrient requirements of chameleons. I would think that zoological organizations would want to pay for research on something like this.
I hope whoever accepts the research grant from Mazuri can study this.
I think zoos are our best chance at getting research funded that may help answer some of these questions

This might be of interest...
"The minimum target vitamin A levels were achieved, again after gut-loading for only one day, and these continued rising until the fourth day at which time they decreased but were still above the target minimum"...
http://titag.org/2015/2015papers/attardcrickets.pdf
Only covers vitamin A and vitamin E for one type of chameleon, but at least it’s something. I’ve been using the gut load that they designed in that study on my mealworms for 48 hours before I give them to my gecko.

Thoughts on using Repashy vitamin A plus to increase amount of vit A to cham. Good or bad? Frequency and amount?
Just wondering if this would be a no no because of the possibility of overdose? What other ways do we have of increasing vit A intake?
Just a heads up, if the product you’re referring to is SuperA by Repashy, that’s some potent stuff! 2,000,000 iu! Be careful

Back
Top Bottom