Panther chameleon Ideal diet

Hello everyone!
So I need some help optimizing my chams feeding and supplementing routine. So I have a 1 year male old panther chameleon. As of right now he gets about 8 dubias a day (Sometimes dose not eat all) with about a dozen crickets once a week for food and occasionally when I get wax worms for my other critters ill throw some of those in there for him for variety. As far as supplements he get Repashys calcium plus LOD once a week and calcium without D3 on his regular daily feedings. I also give him a dusting of vitamin A supplement every 2 weeks per vet recommendation as he has been having issues with his eye. He is definitely underweight as he was struggling to catch food for a while due to his eye issue. I have been also giving his the correct dosage of carnivore care (per vet recommendation) until he is back to a good weight. I really want this guy to stay as healthy as possible. Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or adding to his routine? Thank you!

Hello everyone!
So I need some help optimizing my chams feeding and supplementing routine. So I have a 1 year male old panther chameleon. As of right now he gets about 8 dubias a day (Sometimes dose not eat all) with about a dozen crickets once a week for food and occasionally when I get BSFL for my other critters ill throw some of those in there for him for variety. As far as supplements he get Repashys calcium plus LOD once a week and calcium without D3 on his regular daily feedings. I also give him a dusting of vitamin A supplement every 2 weeks per vet recommendation as he has been having issues with his eye. He is definitely underweight as he was struggling to catch food for a while due to his eye issue. I have been also giving his the correct dosage of carnivore care (per vet recommendation) until he is back to a good weight. I really want this guy to stay as healthy as possible. Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or adding to his routine? Thank

Hi there! Maybe filling out a current husbandry form while we wait for experienced keepers to chime in to give them the best picture possible. Also a pic of your enclosure and cham are more helpful as well.
So sorry you are going through all this.
Wondering, have they done a fecal exam and does that vet have experience with chameleons? Just a few things I think they will ask. 😊
Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. long has it been in your care?How
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hello everyone!
So I need some help optimizing my chams feeding and supplementing routine. So I have a 1 year male old panther chameleon. As of right now he gets about 8 dubias a day (Sometimes dose not eat all) with about a dozen crickets once a week for food and occasionally when I get wax worms for my other critters ill throw some of those in there for him for variety. As far as supplements he get Repashys calcium plus LOD once a week and calcium without D3 on his regular daily feedings. I also give him a dusting of vitamin A supplement every 2 weeks per vet recommendation as he has been having issues with his eye. He is definitely underweight as he was struggling to catch food for a while due to his eye issue. I have been also giving his the correct dosage of carnivore care (per vet recommendation) until he is back to a good weight. I really want this guy to stay as healthy as possible. Is there anything you think I should be doing differently or adding to his routine? Thank you!
Hi. So, filling out the above questions would help immensely. However, even without that, I can give my two cents about your supplements and feeding. I feed all of my adult chameleons 3 days a week, with treats on the weekends. I prefer to give smaller feeders, so each gets about the equivalent of 6ish 1/2” crickets or pinkie nail sized roach nymphs. My almost adult male panther I feed more. Usually panthers are pretty good about regulating their own diets. If there’s no health issues and he refuses some or all of a daily feeding, it’s time to cut back.
Now supplements…he’s being over-supplemented at current. He should be getting the calcium without D3 at every feeding (lightly dusted) and then one feeding every other week, you’ll instead use the Repashy calcium plus LoD. You do not want to give him any additional vitamin A, especially if you’re using the Repashy brand A.
There are two forms of vitamin A - preformed which is retinol or retinyl and is more from protein sources. This is fat soluble and like vitamin D3, can build up in the body to toxic levels if given too much. Provitamin A is beta carotene and other carotenoids from vegetable sources. This is not fat soluble, but it has not been proven that chameleons can utilize this form.
Repashy uses preformed, or fat soluble vitamin A in their supplements, so giving too much or too often you risk your chameleon getting too much and having it build up to dangerous levels in their body. I believe Repashy’s vitamin A contains both forms. Additionally, the Carnivore care contains vitamin D3 and vitamin A (does not specify which form though). I understand completely that you are following your vet’s instructions, however not all vets are as well versed in the finer points of chameleon husbandry as us keepers. I am going to flag @kinyonga who is one of the most experienced keepers and perhaps can offer her input. If you can post some pics of your chameleon in the meantime, that would be wonderful.

Can you post pics of the chameleon and the enclosure along with filling out the husbandry form? Has the vet run any fecal tests to rule out a parasite load?

Back
Top Bottom