Vitamin A suppliment

Ramrod

Chameleon Enthusiast
Thoughts on using Repashy vitamin A plus to increase amount of vit A to cham. Good or bad? Frequency and amount?
Just wondering if this would be a no no because of the possibility of overdose? What other ways do we have of increasing vit A intake?

Vitamin A can be stored in the chameleons body for 6 months so the possibility for an accumulated overdose is high. Vitamin D3 is only stored for 2 months as a point of reference. I would only use it to treat a known deficiency and then sparingly.
I think the biggest problem would be that we don't know how much is too much so like you said it would be kind of risky with the accumulation factor. Thanks for your thoughts.😉

I think it’s too much vitamin A
Repashy Vitamin A plus 2,000,000 IU/lb

For reference:
Reptivite w/ D3 ~ 100,000 IU/lb
Repashy LoD - 80,000 IU/lb
Repashy Calcium Plus - 200,000 IU/lb
Arcadia Revitalize D3 ~ 23,000 IU/lb

also consider the apparent antagonistic relationship between vitamin A and D3 and how they can affect each other’s absorption

are you concerned your cham is not getting enough A?

I wouldn’t risk it, the person who owned my willsii b4 me gave them that supplement 2x a month and the female started to show signs of overdose. She eventually died but lucky I was able to flush the males system by stoping supplements for about a year, only gave calcium once a month

Personally would only use that on advice of veterinary referral on a confirmed vit A deficiency & short-term can build up quickly.
Arcadia Calcium pro is no vit A calcium 90%magnesium10%,👍
Reptivite no d3 has vit A 👍

I think it’s too much vitamin A
Repashy Vitamin A plus 2,000,000 IU/lb

For reference:
Reptivite w/ D3 ~ 100,000 IU/lb
Repashy LoD - 80,000 IU/lb
Repashy Calcium Plus - 200,000 IU/lb
Arcadia Revitalize D3 ~ 23,000 IU/lb

also consider the apparent antagonistic relationship between vitamin A and D3 and how they can affect each other’s absorption

are you concerned your cham is not getting enough A?
No not really, just have noticed a few posts regarding eye and tongue issues that have been suggested to lack of vit A. Thought there may be a safe and effective way of increasing "A" intake without increasing the amount of other vitamins found in a multivitamin suppliment.

No not really, just have noticed a few posts regarding eye and tongue issues that have been suggested to lack of vit A. Thought there may be a safe and effective way of increasing "A" intake without increasing the amount of other vitamins found in a multivitamin suppliment.
Chameleon academy episode 154 is on repashy supplements might get a regiment off there. Another source potentially cod liver oil but that's got vit D also & haven't a clue on baseline dosages sorry

What supplements do you use and what schedule? Almost all the multivitamins that are recommended in the forum already have preformed A in it. And if it is used correctly your cham is already getting what it needs.
Most of these threads about lack of vit A are literally due to them not being provided a multivitamin with preformed A...

I think @Beman is correct about the recommended vitamins you’ll hear about on this site

I believe another way to ensure proper dietary vitamin availability of most vitamins and minerals (including A) is to maximize your feeder variety and also feeder nutrition and gutloading. It’s been shown in multiple studies that many of our feeders nutritional value can be enhanced through feeding and gutloading, and we can then pass this nutrition on to our Chams

What supplements do you use and what schedule? Almost all the multivitamins that are recommended in the forum already have preformed A in it. And if it is used correctly your cham is already getting what it needs.
Most of these threads about lack of vit A are literally due to them not being provided a multivitamin with preformed A...
I know. Thank you. I don't have the problem.😆just thought the info may be helpful to others. Baybe prevent overdoses from trying to use home remedy.

Last edited:
Earth pro A does not have Vitamin A in it....
It does and it is better than synthetic A..proformed from food and minerals....so since the body converts it only when needed and the rest of pass out of the body....it's not dangerous...can't be overdosed. and is more like food ...carrots and minerals from clay that are no longer in our foods. algae is another example and both Bill strand and John-courtney smith recommend this.

It does and it is better than synthetic A..proformed from food and minerals....so since the body converts it only when needed and the rest of pass out of the body....it's not dangerous...can't be overdosed. and is more like food ...carrots and minerals from clay that are no longer in our foods. algae is another example and both Bill strand and John-courtney smith recommend this.
I am extremely familiar with these products and have been using them the last 2 years. You are miss understanding this product... The only supplement in the Arcadia line that has preformed A is Revitalise D3...

The Earthpro A is calcium without D3, bee pollen, clay, and other water soluble vitamins and minerals. But NO vitamin A at all in this product. This is why there is no overdose risk with this one or the calcium-MG...

The RevitaliseD3 is the only one in their line that has fat soluble calcium with D3 and Vitamin A. This product has the ratio in much lower amounts then competitors. Making it a safer product but you still have to make sure that your UVB lighting is on point at the UVI level recommended for your species...

Here is the label from the EP-A and you will clearly see that it does not have vitamin A. This is why Arcadia just came out with the new supplement Revitalise D3 to cover the D3/A end of supplementing.

Screen Shot 2021-02-01 at 1.52.48 PM.png

That is from beta-carotene op i think suspcts a vitamin A pre_formed deficiency

It does not have preformed A. there is still a debate on whether chameleons are able to convert pro formed (carotene) or not.
Hate to open that can of worms😲

It does not have preformed A. there is still a debate on whether chameleons are able to convert pro formed (carotene) or not.
Hate to open that can of worms😲
not gonna battle, I am here to help not argue, I have personally spoke to these people as I rescue chams for( free) and some times return them to those owners for free sometimes people no longer wish to care for them..I have never made a dime! My belief is natural and grow a garden for feeders i use. We all give our best opinions possible to try and help as best we can but no one can say for sure and things change all the time as we advance., it should never be a battle between us.

Back
Top Bottom