Vibrating Feeding Dish for my Chameleon

IslamSeiam

Hi all members... I want to ask can vibrating feeding dishes be used for feeding my chameleon killed insects ... That's because live ones are not available in the stores in my country ... and thanks all :)

Probably not a great idea :( Many chameleons are smart enough to tell if the insects are dead or alive. Even if the dish works, live bugs are much healthier for the chameleon nutritionally and for mental health. Are you sure there is nowhere to buy bugs in your country? Can they be shipped to you? What kinds of insects do you have locally?

well, that's kinda funny, and it's unknown untill you try it.
why do i replied in this thread ? because the first time when i tried to give her fruit, i put them in her feeding cup and to catch her attention, i shook (don't know if it's the right verb :D) the cup and it worked, she got interested in it and she ate the pieces of apple, and now she loves them :D

You can place a small hole in the feeding cup at bottom and run a firm guitar string into the hole. Then you move the dead bug to simulate a real bug moving. Could also hot glue a piece of flat plastic to the string as well to move a larger area. In my experience wiggling the cup can scare them.

thanks to all who replied me.... anyway i will try the vibrating dish and if it doesn't work i have to use wild caught insects as house flies and woodlice .... but another question , can i use a separate cage for feeding my chameleon :confused:

yes you can use a separate cage as long s your chameleon does not object to being moved every day. Also, wild caught insects are a bad idea they could hve parasites and other health issues, the nutritional value will probably be lower than if you gutload the feeders yourself.

thanks to all who replied me.... anyway i will try the vibrating dish and if it doesn't work i have to use wild caught insects as house flies and woodlice .... but another question , can i use a separate cage for feeding my chameleon :confused:
If you can catch some woodlice, you can raise them, they are very easy. That way you can establish a food supply and not have to rely 100% on wild caught. Put the woodlice in an aquarium with about 8 cm of clean dirt and either some bark or flat rocks for them to hide under. Mist them lightly every day and give them fresh leafy greens or vegetable scraps every other day. You can do the same thing with snails if you can find some to start with.

Roaches are very easy to raise, but it may be hard to get a after set for you. Also small locust (grasshoppers) and moths. You can catch moths at night with a light on.

Don't forget that some chameleons like Yemen's (veileds) will also eat some fruits and leafy greens. It can be an important supplement to the insects.

Best of luck to you. We have had a few international members who have had trouble finding appropriate feeders for chameleons. Many of the animals were not able to survive and it was heartbreaking. Let us know if we can help you. Where are you located?

Thanks zlew and Lathis for your help .... i am too glad for that... about my location , i am in Egypt .... and About breeding woodlice ... i read before that maturity age of them about 15 months old.. and it's a long time for breeding ... i don't know is that information is right? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom