Vet appt. in early morning...tips?

Arpretty

Avid Member
Hi everyone...so all exotics in my area require seeing the animal prior to/along with doing a fecal. One exotic in particular I feel the best about is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes away from me. I have an appointment with them scheduled tomorrow at 9:30 a.m...so leaving shortly before 8:00. My concern is that it will be in the 40's, early in the morning so he wouldn't have had time to bask....if you were in my situation, how would you go about getting him to and from the appointment safely? Is this a terrible idea?

Concern: continuing to see hemipene protrusion at times, minimal appetite (eating but not much), and undigested insects in several poops. Mostly bsfl and green bottle spikes. He is also very small. I'd really like to get him checked out for parasites.

I have a box prepared, two fecal samples in the fridge (hoping for maybe 1 more today), and a microwaveable heat pack I was thinking I would place the box on top of or next to during travel. Afraid he could possibly not make the trip, but each day I am concerned for his health.

Don't worry about the heat. You are not going to just leave him out in that temp, so it will be warmer in his space. Plus they are fine in the cold. We had a power outage for 10 days with no heat, never got above mid 60s and 8 chameleons including 6 babies handled it just fine. If he is in the travel box with a branch to cling on just keep it covered and dark. The temp in your car will be fine. In his world it would not be much different than sleeping in the wind. Just imagine them up in a tree when the wind blows. They are quite equipped for this. Further for reptiles cold is also a sedative of sorts. Meaning that a warm animal will experience greater stress than a cooler animal. Not exactly that simple but trying to give an idea.
In short cool and dark is the best way to travel for a reptile.

Don't worry about the heat. You are not going to just leave him out in that temp, so it will be warmer in his space. Plus they are fine in the cold. We had a power outage for 10 days with no heat, never got above mid 60s and 8 chameleons including 6 babies handled it just fine. If he is in the travel box with a branch to cling on just keep it covered and dark. The temp in your car will be fine. In his world it would not be much different than sleeping in the wind. Just imagine them up in a tree when the wind blows. They are quite equipped for this. Further for reptiles cold is also a sedative of sorts. Meaning that a warm animal will experience greater stress than a cooler animal. Not exactly that simple but trying to give an idea.
In short cool and dark is the best way to travel for a reptile.
Thank you very much!!! I feel much better about it.

Hi so as you're on here for a couple of years, you probably already know than me. But anyway I try to keep and take with me any notes and stuff as sometimes stress ( me ) I forget to mention things or ask questions. Hope alls good

Hi so as you're on here for a couple of years, you probably already know than me. But anyway I try to keep and take with me any notes and stuff as sometimes stress ( me ) I forget to mention things or ask questions. Hope alls good
Thanks!! Yep I have my notebook ready to come with. First time transporting a wee baby so I'm super anxious :oops:

I have a box prepared, two fecal samples in the fridge (hoping for maybe 1 more today), and a microwaveable heat pack I was thinking I would place the box on top of or next to during travel. Afraid he could possibly not make the trip, but each day I am concerned for his health.
Did you date/label the specimens? Ideally, you want as fresh as possible—Mwah! Fresh as a daisy! 🌻 —preferably within 24 hrs. of appt. time.

Got a spare thermometer? Put it in the car tonight, check it 1/2 hr. before departing. If it's below 60F, warm the car up to get it from the 60s to comfortable (You need to be comfortable and in a good head space too. ;) ) but don't make yourself late—it can still warm up on the way—it's a long trip.

Sounds like you know about keeping the transport box dark but ventilated.

You've got between now & departure time to organize yourself, notes, pictures, & questions. I write everything down because I tend to fluster easily under anxiety about our animals—and I forget things. :oops:

Missus & I have always worked as a team—we're each others' backup during medical & veterinary visits. If you have anyone who can function that way for you... we get by with a little help from our friends. :) You can return the favor or buy them brunch. ;)

questions to ask a herp veterinarian (google search)

Did you date/label the specimens? Ideally, you want as fresh as possible—Mwah! Fresh as a daisy! 🌻—preferably within 24 hrs. of appt. time.

Got a spare thermometer? Put it in the car tonight, check it 1/2 hr. before departing. If it's below 60F, warm the car up to get it from the 60s to comfortable (You need to be comfortable and in a good head space too. ;) ) but don't make yourself late—it can still warm up on the way—it's a long trip.

Sounds like you know about keeping the transport box dark but ventilated.

You've got between now & departure time to organize yourself, notes, pictures, & questions. I write everything down because I tend to fluster easily under anxiety about our animals—and I forget things. :oops:

Missus & I have always worked as a team—we're each others' backup during medical & veterinary visits. If you have anyone who can function that way for you... we get by with a little help from our friends. :) You can return the favor or buy them brunch. ;)

questions to ask a herp veterinarian (google search)
Sometimes I feel like you and I think very similarly lol, yep labeled and dated them! That’s great your wife goes along with you. I’ll be scooping my mom up along the way for moral support. And good thought, I need to save the pictures from my camera to my phone.... yes, I’m still old school lol. Fingers crossed everything goes well..

I always write up & print out all of my husbandry (using the help form as a guide) and include pics of my enclosure for the vet to have a complete picture of everything. It’s especially been helpful for those visits in which I’ve had to wait in the car while my animal is seen.

I always write up & print out all of my husbandry (using the help form as a guide) and include pics of my enclosure for the vet to have a complete picture of everything. It’s especially been helpful for those visits in which I’ve had to wait in the car while my animal is seen.
Perfect, good thinking, I have everything on my phone but I know I won't be allowed in the room. Getting ready to print

Back
Top Bottom