Very very new!

betuana

Hi, I stumbled across this forum while doing websearches on chameleons, and am very glad I did!

I've never owned a chameleon before, but recently my aunt contacted me looking for a new home for her 'classroom pet' - a 1.5 year old (male?) veiled chameleon named Wally. She estimates he's about 8 inches in size. She's had it in the 2nd grade classroom for the past year, but its apparently kinda mean (which from what I'm reading is normal), and she has a small apartment and has no place to keep the cage away from her cats and dogs during the summer. She knows I have exotics and am a vet tech, so she contacted me about it.

She's giving him to me in his 16"x16"x20" screen cage (which I intend to upgrade to a 2'x2'x4', 1.5'x3'x4' or something along those lines) with a drip system, vines, and UV lamp. She says he's never really been interested in greens, but eats his crickets well. She said the only thing she can come up with for any problems he's had is that there have been a couple times he's seemed very lethargic, but then a while later he's acting normal and prettier than ever - I'm thinking maybe he was shedding at those times?

Anyways, I've had experience with OTHER types of exotics - we have 2 really old (30+ years) red tailed boas, a young corn snake, a 7 year old leopard gecko, 15 tarantulas, rats, aquariums, etc (as well as cats). Growing up my family kept hermit crabs, finches, parakeets, anoles, dogs, hamsters, rats, fish, box turtles, etc. We currently have a room dedicated to our herps and tarantulas, to keep the cats from bothering them, and regulate room temperature and humidity more closely (our house is kept fairly dry for the most part due to past termite issues, but we keep the humidity in that room more on the 'normal' house humidity level). I just graduated from my veterinary technician program, and interned at an exotics clinic.

I've seen chameleons at stores and expos on several occasions, but always have heard they are very difficult to keep, and while I was fascinated by them I never pursued getting one. However, with this one being offered up by a family member (with the side note from her that otherwise she'd just have to put him on craigslist because she just can't take him home for the summer :( ), and the space to provide a large cage for it, it seems like a good opportunity to explore the chameleon world.

I've been going through a ton of websites on veiled chameleon care, trying to get all the information I'm going to need to make sure he has a comfortable, healthy home to live in - which is how I landed here! I'm looking at getting the 100 gallon reptarium from LLLreptilel, and want to find a pothos plant or some other appropriate plant to put in the enclosure to provide some climbing area, humidity, etc.

So, I thought I'd say hi, share the info I have on the incoming new addition, and see if anyone has any tips to share! Thanks for having this forum - I LOVE forums for exotics, I've yet to find a better way to get the most up to date information!

-Beth

Welcome Beth glad you found us. Chams are a little more intense in their husbandry and any little thing off "may" cause problems. You just need to check on them everyday to see how they appear. The best way to get started on the right foot is once you have your set up done, fill out the following form and then members can let you know what may need tweaking.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/

Hey! Welcome abord Beth! :)

As much as i could give you some informations, i think you will be able to find everything you want by yourself, if you don't know most of it already! ;). Just remember that your chameleon (chamaelo calyptratus) can be kept the same way than Fucifer Pardalis (panther chameleons), so this may help you in searching for some infos.

Also, just to make sure, your 100 gallon is in screen or in glass?

You might be happier with the LLL screen cage instead of the reptarium. The zipper is kind of a hastle, where the door on the screened cage is easier to open and you can get a drip tray for it too.

Thanks for the pointer about their screen cages - I had missed that link, thought it was only glass cages - a cage with a door would definitely be better than a zipper. I'm thinking of going with the 2x2x4 cage with the drip tray..

Once I get the cage set up for him I can send more information about it so you all can look it over and tell me where I need to fix it! :D I currently only have what information I've managed to get from my aunt about him, and haven't seen him in person myself. I'll post more when I know more...

As for pictures - she only has 1 picture she's posted of him, from august of 09 - so he's probably grown some since then, but I've attached it for all of you who like the pictures! When I get his enclosure, and him, I'll definitely take more pictures!

Thanks for all the advice and links! Its very appreciated! This offer of a new addition to our household was a complete surprise just a couple days ago, so all the info I can get is good! I'm used to doing many months or a year+ of research before I get anything, I just need to speed up the process a bit this time for Wally's sake (I'd hate to see him wind up on craigslist for free (she doesn't want money for him), going to someone who won't bother to learn about him).

-Beth

Attachments

• wally1.jpg
    wally1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 128
Welcome! It's good you're researching, but I'll throw in my list so it might speed things up a bit.

Here is my basic checklist for an adult male veiled:

-a screen cage of appropriate size (adult male 24x24x48)
-live plants that are non toxic and have covered organic fertilizer free soil
-a normal incandescent house bulb of appropriate wattage
-a dome to put the house bulb in
-a linear reptisun 5.0 and appropriate hood
-a digital thermometer or temp gun to check temperature
-a digital hygrometer to check humidity (you can buy a 2 in 1 thermometer/hygrometer)
-three supplements: calcium with d3, calcium without d3, and a multivitamin that contains no vit A (make sure all are phos free)
-a pump style spray bottle to spray chameleon
-a dripper of some sort
-drainage for the water so that the cage does not flood
-many horizontal, vertical, and diagonal branches/vines/perches make sure there are many at different levels under the basking branch so he can move around under them to get a certain temp, the closest one to the bulb (6-8 inches under it) should have the maximum temperature a male veiled can handle (85-90 degrees)

All of this can be bought on lllreptile.com but it would be cheaper to buy the uvb hood, normal incandescent house bulb and dome, plants, and digital thermometer from home depot or lowes (unless you are getting a temp gun, then tempgun.com) Veiled chameleons can handle temps as low as 50 degrees (at night) so there is no need to use a night light. *If you do need extra heat, use a space heater or ceramic bulb.

Hi Beth, welcome. We have a lot of veiled keepers so you will not lack for help or information. Do be very careful, chameleons have a way getting under your skin & then 1 is never enough!:)

Back
Top Bottom