Very uncommun tongue phenomenon

I'm sure the jaw deformity is from MBD...and I'm betting the tongue issue is too. MBD not only affects the bones but the muscles and other things too.

I am suprised that no one caught the wacked out curve in that Panthers jaw sooner.

In the first picture the left front leg looks like its curved at the elbow.
I think it can only show up in the mouth.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

The owner of the original picture just mentioned that his chameleon does NOT do it when he is eating, and that everytime the owner see the chameleon doing it (it happened 3 times so far), the chameleon gets scared and retract his tongue directly into his mouth.

This behavior is even more unique. Why would a chameleon keep his tongue outside, if he could retract it easily? Also, if it was related to any health problem, i can hardly think that he would be able to put his tongue back in that fast every time! :confused:

Its definitely strange. I wonder if there is something stuck down in the area where the tongue is stored so it hangs it out? IMHO it would be natural to pull it back in when the owner was around because it might feel vulnerable when its hanging out.

Oh my god ...I hope that this chameleon is okay but I have to laugh....if I saw mine e it's tongue swaying in the breeE and then he saw me got embarrassed and pulled it back in...idk if I would be able to stop laughing for long enough to cAll the vet lol.

I work for a vet with lots of cham experience & if I remember correctly we saw a cham once with this problem It was lack of or low levels of vitamin A that can cause mucus membranes to swell which in turn they can't keep mouth fully closed and tongue hangs out sometimes. Pretty serious problem because eventually they have difficulty eating or tongue gets dry and tip starts to die off. :(

I work for a vet with lots of cham experience & if I remember correctly we saw a cham once with this problem It was lack of or low levels of vitamin A that can cause mucus membranes to swell which in turn they can't keep mouth fully closed and tongue hangs out sometimes. Pretty serious problem because eventually they have difficulty eating or tongue gets dry and tip starts to die off. :(

Could you please make sure your information is accurate? If you can confirm that, i'll pass along the information to the owner. Also, what does your vet suggest as treatment?

What is curious is the jaw seems to be deformed, and not just unable to close its mouth.

@Kiny: Wouldn't the chameleon feel vulnerable at anytime he does that anyway? I mean, their tongue is vital and even if there is no human in the area, i presume the chameleon would feel in danger if its tongue was out. *shrug*

I will ask my vet tomorrow. I know we gave it Beta carotene orally (they were gel capsules that we punctured and gave some drops since most chams HATE injections). My first cham that someone dumped on the animal clinic that I work for was a very tiny veiled that did not have UVA/UVB lights on him and it died of MBD and right before it got real sick it was keeping its tongue out sometimes but had difficult time retracting tongue as well. But I will double check with my vet and get back with you.

Back
Top Bottom