Cancer?

emendiza

Hello everyone,
yesterday, my male veiled chameleon of 6 years passed away.
Over the course of the past year, he started growing lumps on his tongue, making it hard for him to catch his live feed. I took him to the vet when I realized the lumps weren't going away, and he had additionally grown a large bump between his eyes. The vet drained the bump and did blood work, and he told me that my chameleon was very healthy and just had a minor abscess and infection that would go away on its own with time. Months passed and the bump was still there. Two months ago, the lumps on his tongue spread around to the roof of his mouth, growing into a tumor that was large enough to not let him close his mouth at all. I helped him drink water and eat for weeks but he he was very rapidly losing energy . Eventually, the tumor started turning black and splitting open, I cleaned the scabs when needed but he never had puss. Two days ago, he climbed down to the bottom of his enclosure and stayed there until he passed. I am very upset about his passing, but I am at peace knowing he lived a long life.

My question is, was this cancer?

I am having a difficult time finding posts from people who had something similar happen to their chameleon.

I’m very sorry that you lost your guy and for all you both went thru. ((( 💗 ))) It’s impossible for anyone to say what exactly your guy had. Your vet would need to do a biopsy of one of the bumps. I am curious what the bumps looked like. Do you happen to have any pics of them? I haven’t seen anyone here with a similar issue.

I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words to describe the loss of a beloved pet. My heart goes out to you ❤️

I’m very sorry that you lost your guy and for all you both went thru. ((( 💗 ))) It’s impossible for anyone to say what exactly your guy had. Your vet would need to do a biopsy of one of the bumps. I am curious what the bumps looked like. Do you happen to have any pics of them? I haven’t seen anyone here with a similar issue.
unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures of him in the past couple of months, it was too difficult for me to see him like that. I have a doctor in my family, however, and he confirmed that he had a large necrotic tumor. I do have a short clip I took while he was eating when I first noticed the bumps a year ago. This was when they first appeared, they got worse and his tongue started turning a dark color progressively for months after this. You can also see the bump starting to appear between his eyes ( i thought it was a sinus infection at first when I took him to the vet.) It's not letting me attach the video but i attached the frames where it is most visible!
IMG_7288.PNG
IMG_7289.jpg
IMG_7290.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7288.PNG
    IMG_7288.PNG
    614.1 KB · Views: 30
Poor guy. 🥺 Looks like he definitely had something going on in his head…what part I can’t tell. His casque shouldn’t have that almost split appearance. Those sides and tip should be much closer together.
Cancer sometimes can be unofficially determined by its appearance and to someone in the medical field or with similar experience.
Regardless of what the growths were, and regardless of him even having them, you did a fantastic job with him to have him for six years. To care for and nurse him in his last bit of time just speaks volumes for your love and devotion to him. 💗

I’m so very sorry for the loss of your little guy. 😢 it’s always hard no matter if we know it’s coming or not. You also never know who may come across a situation like this and even if it helps someone else a little bit, it’s worth it to me. This is nothing I’ve seen on the forum, I haven’t been around too long but have reviewed many of old threads so thank you so much for sharing.

Poor guy. 🥺 Looks like he definitely had something going on in his head…what part I can’t tell. His casque shouldn’t have that almost split appearance. Those sides and tip should be much closer together.
Cancer sometimes can be unofficially determined by its appearance and to someone in the medical field or with similar experience.
Regardless of what the growths were, and regardless of him even having them, you did a fantastic job with him to have him for six years. To care for and nurse him in his last bit of time just speaks volumes for your love and devotion to him. 💗
He's always had a funny-looking casque, it was also a bit curved to the left haha. And thank you so much, he was my pride and joy. He is scheduled to be cremated this week, I'm planning on putting his little urn near his favorite plant from his enclosure. <3 some nice pictures attached below

Attachments

• IMG_3607.jpeg
    IMG_3607.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 64683F97-63FB-4EA5-BE3E-6A9942FF4D53.jpeg
    64683F97-63FB-4EA5-BE3E-6A9942FF4D53.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 28
He's always had a funny-looking casque, it was also a bit curved to the left haha. And thank you so much, he was my pride and joy. He is scheduled to be cremated this week, I'm planning on putting his little urn near his favorite plant from his enclosure. <3 some nice pictures attached below
Thank you for sharing the nice pics. 🥰 He was gorgeous. Wishing you strength and healing. 💗

He was a beautiful boy, and I can tell you certainly loved him! loosing a loved one is never easy, praying you heal and find comfort knowing he was loved 💗

Back
Top Bottom